Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scalding Question

Default Scalding Question

Do you have to scald breastmilk right away? I am returning to work in a few weeks and I may not be able to scald the milk at work.

Default Re: Scalding Question

Are you scalding your milk due to an excess lipase problem? If so, have you determined baby will not drink the milk unless it is scalded before being stored?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    Are you scalding your milk due to an excess lipase problem? If so, have you determined baby will not drink the milk unless it is scalded before being stored?
    Yes, I am pretty sure I have excess lipase. We started to try and feed her thawed milk this past week a few times and my daughter will not drink it. It did smell soapy. What I haven't tried yet is scalding milk and then trying to feed it to her after it has been frozen and thawed out. She will drink freshly pumped milk from a bottle. And she has drank milk from the fridge, but she won't drink the frozen stuff at all.

Ok, I just wanted to make sure someone had not told you all expressed milk had to be scalded before storage or something.

So the short answer is that yes, it is typically recommended when excess lipase is the issue to try scalding the milk immediately after pumping. However I would suggest experimenting. If it were me, I would first want to be sure scalding the milk right after nursing made it palatable for baby.

I would also suggest seeing if baby is ok with non-scalded milk that has been in the fridge for a few days that has not been frozen. It is safe to keep milk in the fridge for about a week, typically, depending on the reliability of the refrigerator. So not freezing your expressed milk may be the better option for you. Or not freezing the milk you pump earlier in the day, but only the last pump of the day since you might be able to scald that.

I am not sure how effective this is, but my understanding is that some moms simply scald the milk when they get home as they cannot scald it at work.

Milk storage guidelines: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...toringmilk.pdf

Safe milk handling http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...fyour_milk.pdf

There is an old post on here somewhere, or used to be, where the mother discovered that she could use a bottle warmer to scald the milk as it heated the milk to the appropriate temperature.