Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Re-latch: cry after latching. Latch for 5 mins enough?

Default Re-latch: cry after latching. Latch for 5 mins enough?

Hi my baby is now 8 weeks old. She was born small at 2.24kg and couldn't get her to latch initially. Thus was pumping and feeding expressed breast milk (EBM) through bottle.
    Couple of weeks ago, I'm trying to get my LO to re-latch. And after a few attempts she managed to latch on the right breast.

1. She would latch for about 5 to 10 mins and sometimes she will cry after.

2. Sometimes she would also appear searching for nipple frantically, but after 3 sucks she will reject the breast and cry.

3. If baby only feeds for 5 mins; is that enough?

Anyone experienced the same?

Default Re: Re-latch: cry after latching. Latch for 5 mins enough?

Hi and welcome.

Taking several tries to latch can be normal in the newborn period especially. Latching, nursing for a short time, and then unlatching but wanting more is normal- but in that case baby should be able to latch again.
    Crying at any time is usually pretty normal.
    Whether 5 minutes nursing duration is enough depends entirely on how much milk baby is getting in that 5 minutes and how often baby nurses overall. Older babies often will nurse 5 minutes and get all they need. If a mom has a very fast milk letdown (lots of milk coming at once) then 5 minutes can sometimes be enough for a younger baby.

But no, 5 minutes total duration nursing sessions would not be typical for a newborn, and given the fact baby has a history of not being able to latch and of being bottle fed, I think you probably need to think this is a problem unless proven otherwise.

Your best bet would be to see an IBCLC immediately to get professional assistance in figuring out if there is a breastfeeding problem and how to address it if there is. Is that possible? Here is info on what to expect at such a consult: http://www.cwgenna.com/lconsult.html If no IBCLC available you could talk to an LLL Leader and see how much she could help you.

We can try to help you troubleshoot here but would need much more info:
    Baby's exact age
    Weight gain history
    How much baby is being supplemented in bottles right now
    how much milk you get when you pump and how quickly
    How many times a day does baby poop
    How many times a day (24 hours) does baby nurse?
    Is nursing comfortable for you?

1. My LO just turned 8 weeks on 25 August.

2. Shes been gaining weight well. She was born 2.24kg. Lost Abit of weight and gain back to 2.24kg in first week.
    When she turned one month, she weighed 3.4kg. And on Monday when we went to the doctors, she weighed 4.2kg.

3.. She has been drinking about 550ml via the bottles and I will latch her only once or twice, each time only 5 to 7!'ins.
    However, yesterday (24 August), she didn't seem to want the bottle and prefer latching. She was only fed via bottle 240ml and I latched her about 7 times. Out of that, 5 times has been 5 to 10 mins. However the two evenings feeds have been about 20 to 30 mins.

4. When I pump I get more milk from my left breast. I would get about 80ml on my left and 60ml on my right. Total pump time would be around 15 mins. I would get most of the milk in 10 mins. The next 5 mins I don't yield a lot.

5. Baby poops about 4 times a day.

6. Nursing is comfortable for me. Except sometimes the latch is not right and it hurts but baby quickly latches

This morning at 8am, when I try to latch her she drank for 7 mins and started fussing. Managed to burp her once and tried to feed her again. But she cried. Tried to latch her again, after one suck she cries again. Does that mean that she had enough to drink?

May I know how do it get in touch with a LLL leader?
    Last edited by @llli*jolyn.tang; August 24th, 2017 at 06:48 PM.

Ok so baby has been gaining about a Kg (about 2 pounds) per month?..Sorry I am converting this myself so check my math. So yes that is good, normal gain if I have that correct.

Sorry I missed that baby is 8 weeks. So shorter nursing sessions of 5-10 minutes can be entirely normal at this point. It is normal for some sessions to be short and others longer. This:
    Out of that, 5 times has been 5 to 10 mins. However the two evenings feeds have been about 20 to 30 mins.
    Sounds entirely normal, except of course a baby this age normally nurses much more than 7 times in 24 hours, you want to be looking more at 8-12 times if baby is not getting supplemental meals with the bottle.

If your goal is to be able to stop pumping and bottles, it sounds to me you are very close to that goal. Baby got 240 mils (about 8 ounces) in one day and nursed 7 times. Assuming baby got all baby needed that day, increasing nursing sessions to more like 10 times per day might mean you can stop all bottles. One day results is not enough to go on of course, as baby weans off bottles you will have to monitor output and gain to be sure all is well. But here are some things to be aware of.

1) Your baby will not continue to gain at this rapid rate much longer. Most babies by 3-4 months gain slows down quite a bit. Some, gain slows down earlier. This can be normal.
    2) right now baby is pooping lots, and that is good as it can reassure you. However at this age or later, some babies stop pooping daily and in fact may take several days between poops and still be gaining fine. So do not panic if poops reduce. In that case you just need to rely more on gain to be sure baby is getting enough.
    3) babies behavior might mean your milk letdown is "fast." Sometimes this causes baby to pop off and not be happy with the fast flow. If you think that is part of what is going on, you can try 1) encouraging baby to nurse frequently and 2) lean back with baby kind of on top of you to nurse. (This is called laid back breastfeeding and there are multiple variations you can play around with. Those two things help baby handle fast flow better in most cases.

May I know how do it get in touch with a LLL leader?
    On the main page of this website, click the link that says "Find a Leader" and then pick your country and so on to find what is available in your area. If you cannot find anyone let me know.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; August 24th, 2017 at 07:16 PM.

Thank you!!

I can't seem to find a leader. I'm in Singapore.

Would also like to find out. If baby doesn't latch on left breast, should I pump on my left breast? Or should I try the next feed on my left again?

Is it normal for babies to prefer one side over the other? Should I try to get her to latch on the left? Or I can just leave her as is?
    Last edited by @llli*jolyn.tang; August 24th, 2017 at 08:05 PM.

If baby is just preferring to nurse one side at a time, but alternates, as long as baby nurses with good frequency and you are comfortable between nursing sessions, that is fine and normal. But do you mean that, or is baby refusing to nurse one side entirely?

It can be quite common for a baby to prefer one side over the other. But if the preference is so pronounced baby is refusing or nursing very little on one side, then that is a problem. The best thing would be if you can get baby to nurse or nurse more on that side. Without knowing why baby is having trouble on that side that may be difficult, it may take time, but you would work on it just as you would the initial problem of baby not latching at all.

In the meantime yes if baby is not nursing you will need to pump that side often enough to be comfortable and to keep milk production in good shape. Occasionally one side is completely refused and baby gets enough on the other side and mom allows the non-nursed side to "dry up." This can happen and be ok, but obviously there are drawbacks and this is not the best plan.

I will post again after searching online for your LLL area.

Breastfeeding mothers support group (BMSG) have you heard of them? Seem active, there is a helpline listed, etc. http://breastfeeding.org.sg/about-us/

ok LLL Singapore appears to be one person and I have no idea if she is active. Have you tried contacting her?
    Mina's home
    Please email for address
    lalechesingapore@gmail.com
    Singapore, SG

This article is 6 years old, but there are many resources listed for breastfeeding help in Singapore: https://singaporemotherhood.com/arti...-in-singapore/

IBCLCs in Singapore (this is probably not all of them, not every IBCLC is on this professional database) http://www.ilca.org/why-ibclc/falc

hope this helps
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; August 24th, 2017 at 10:37 PM.

Ya my baby doesn't know how to latch on the left breast. So she doesn't drink from there at all.

Thank you so much for your help!