Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wish it was a strike!

Default Re: I wish it was a strike!

I think you have misunderstood my point. Your baby has not nursed in about a week or 10 days? That is not long enough to assume your child has weaned. Strikes can last for many weeks, even for months. IMO your baby is still on a strike.

I am not sure what you mean by diapers being "lighter" - do you mean, less pee? Your child is old enough at this point, unless they have some other health issue going on, they are probably perfectly capable of regulating intake to appropriate levels as long as they are offered enough food and water. Constipation is actually quite common at this age, but also it makes sense for a striking baby (a child who suddenly went from drinking a good amount of breastmilk to none, essentially overnight) to have some "imbalance" and to have some constipation at least for a while. I would suggest look at overall diet for constipating foods, also maybe put your expressed breastmilk into your child's food or freeze some to make popsicles or something and see if your child will take it that way.

Were you able to access that LLL list of articles on strikes?

Thank you for the support.

I've definitely been going through the articles, that and pumping are my main concerns right now.(I'm obsessing)So far all those babies are far younger than mine,most posts say striking lasts 2-4days, episodes on mums ending up in strike-lead weanings(even an lll member), I keep finding things like that.

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...nursing-strike

and this.

Ok, I see your concern. So, I may not be up to date on current stats, but last I looked, in the US, about 30% of children are not ever nursed. Less than 50% are nursed past 6 months, and the vast majority of the remainder are weaned by their moms (intentionally or inadvertently) by the time they are a year old or very shortly thereafter. So of course the vast majority of breastfeeding information you are going to find involves babies and not toddlers, no matter what the subject. If the subject is a strike, that is considered a more serious situation if the child is under a year and consequently relying almost entirely on breastmilk for their nutrition. In fact I believe most moms who experience a striking toddler who is eating and drinking other things to a large extent probably assume their child has weaned and do not even consider the possibility of a strike. So I do think it may be hard to find stories that reflect your situation with the kind of precision you are understandably looking for.

I have nursed 3 kids into early childhood, was a LLL Leader for many years, and either attended or hosted "breastfeeding toddler" meetings for many years, and in my experience, strikes are strikes. They are different than weaning in the fact it is an abrupt stopping of nursing whether the child is 4 months, 8 months or 2 years. The reasons may vary, the length may vary, but the definition and the "cure" does not change.

You know your child best. If your gut is telling you your child has weaned and is ready to never nurse again, then that is a knowledge you can apply to this situation as you see fit. But it is not hurting anything to continue to gently encourage your child to nurse as long as you want to try. Techniques that encourage nursing are usually things like cuddling and playfulness, and those are things that are only healthy for your child and your relationship. As far as pumping, that can get old quite quickly, and I would completely understand you wanting to stop pumping. If you get to that point, just be careful to gradually wean yourself from pumping to protect your own health and comfort.

Oh I also wanted to add that mom feeling sad is totally normal even when weaning has been gradual and entirely on mom's terms or preferences. There are many ends in parenting, and just as many new beginnings. Some endings can feel very momentous and weaning is one that typically does feel that way.

I just wanted to check back in and let you know that I know two women personally, from this website that lived through MONTHS of striking and actually both of them never supplemented at all. I have also helped countless other women through strikes brought on by teeth and ear infections and have not seen many that lost such a short time as 4 days. It's true those kids were younger than yours but IME strikes are almost NEVER only 4 days long. So take some comfort in that.
    Also I know that it is very very emotional and weaning even when it's gradual is often painful and sad for the mother. And striking almost always feels like rejection. It's not. Please try NOT to take it too personally. Your child loves you. I would also suggest trying to find ways to work breast milk into your child's food if possible. It could really help with the constipation as of course she will then get all the other benefit from it too. Cuddle topless. Be the jungle gym with nipples. And every day, try the sneak attack while she sleeps.

Way too lazy for formula

I can't thank you all enough!
    My daughter has finally nursed...Twice!
    They were in the middle of the night(back to sleep feeds),I was being playful and super gentle that day, I earlier tried cuddling her in nurse position WITHOUT showing her my breasts.All your advices were SO correct! not to mention, so empathetic and nice. I am so very happy and thankful. and Maddie, my guts are not telling me anything. they have gone bonkers due to strike. I am definitely sticking to your strategies!
    I don't know if this will turn out a one(two) time thing or the end of strike but will be happy anyways to have accomplished it. at least the last feed will not be that one I did last week watching TV while talking to my mom on the phone and all.
    I will further update as it maybe useful to other moms experiencing similar situations.

Oh and I was going to say, my periods had restarted 13months postpartum and I think for ovulation, last month.because those periods until last month were in my sense, not the real ones.
    And, I am having a period right now, which means I should have been ovulating right around when the strike started. That may have had to do with it.

Glad you are feeling better with that encouragement from baby. Thanks so much for the kind words and the update.

update!

strike Day 1~10: zero feeds
    Day 11~12: feeds during night sleep!
    Day 13: ...and first thing in the morning
    Day 14: ...and to sleep
    Day 15: ...and during daytime
    Day 16: ASKS to nurse
    Day 17: return of the missing letdown
    Day 18~: back to normal(almost)

things we tried:dream feeding, falling-to/waking-up-from sleep feeds, squirting milk into mouth or face, instant reward, bath feeds, nursing stuffed animals, any nursing rituals

things that worked: dream feeding!!!(back to sleep feeds), offering without "scooping"(e.g. mom on knees, baby standing up), side nursing

things that didn't work: stripping.for us, no luck(thin clothing, OK. nursing position WITH clothes on, OK)

probable causes of strike: engorgement, baby's cold(which I probably have right now. not severe but pretty nasty), ovulation(strike ended when I started menstruating), saying "god i am getting bedsore!" right after unlatching an all night long side feed?

I found so little on toddler strikes, even fewer over 18mos, maybe none with happy endings, so hope this encourages other ladies in some way!
    Last edited by @llli*agnesd; September 6th, 2017 at 07:56 AM.

So sorry I missed this latest post, hope things are going ok?

In any case thank you SO much for updating- as you found, info online or in print for this situation is scarce. It is the kind of thing discussed mostly in person, that is where I gathered most of my knowledge on all toddler and older child nursing concerns over the years. Directly from other moms at LLL meetings, attachment parenting groups and other social situations.