Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden latching complications

Unhappy Sudden latching complications

I'm a first time mother and my baby boy is 7 weeks now I'm breastfeeding with occasional pumped bottles given by dad in the mornings to let me catch up on sleep, we had a rough start but it got better but the last few days his latch suddenly changed and is shallow, he just wont open his mouth wide enough no matter what I try to encourage him to open wider I get him latched and start seeing his cheeks suck in and hearing the clicking/suction noises so I relatch over and over to the point of frustration for the both of us I checked for teeth coming in (none) and the bottle wasn't recently introduced he's been switching between breast and bottle with no issues since about 4 weeks when I thought he had feeding down.

Let me know if anyone has experienced this and how you fixed it or what could possibly be causing this.

Default Re: Sudden latching complications

Hi and welcome.

So it is unfortunately a very common myth that if a baby "switches just fine" from bottles to nursing and back again for some period of time, this means baby will always switch back and forth just fine. No, in fact what we know is that the earlier, the longer, and the higher frequency bottles are given, the more likely it is they will eventually cause a problem. Now I am not saying that the bottles are the problem, because that I do not know. But they certainly could be the problem.

it sounds like at this point bottles are not absolutely needed due to separations, so my first suggestion is to shelve bottles for now, as they may hurt and cannot help in the situation you describe.

Since baby is getting bottles I assume you are also pumping? Is it possible that you have overproduction, either natural or caused by pumping? This could cause a fast letdown and that could cause baby to partially pull off the breast into a shallow latch and/or clamp. If you stop bottles you can also stop pumping (unless you are pumping for another reason.)

Encourage baby to nurse often, this helps for latch issues in many ways.

Otherwise my best suggestion is to concentrate on "good" latch and positioning- good meaning, what works for you. This is a good general article on latch and positioning that may help: http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/

he just wont open his mouth wide enough no matter what I try to encourage him to open wider I get him latched and start seeing his cheeks suck in and hearing the clicking/suction noises so I relatch over and over to the point of frustration for the both of us
    Are you relatching because it hurts or because of the sounds baby is making or how it looks? I would suggest go by how it feels and if it feels ok do now worry about anything else. Also when nursing hurts, adjustments can often be made by shifting your position or baby's position without having to unlatch.

If things do not improve pretty quickly, I suggest consult an IBCLC if at all possible. Info on what to expect from a consult: http://www.cwgenna.com/lconsult.html