Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: White Spot on Nipple

Default White Spot on Nipple

Hi everyone I hope you mommies can help me out. I've been having excruciating pain throughout my breast for a couple days now and only on my left side. I thought it was my letdown, but now I can't even stand it when my LO is nursing. Feels as if he were not latching correctly but he is. Today I also looked at my nipple and I have a white little spot and it looks kind of cracked, I thought it was a blister or plugged duct but I expressed manually and milk comes out of there still so I don't know what it could be. I had mastitis two weeks ago as well so I'm not sure if that has to do with it as well, but I really want this pain to go away please help.

Also baby has been pooping green and I also have a forceful letdown and we have been struggling with that too. I know it's two issues will greatly appreciate the assurance. Thank you ahead of time

Default Re: White Spot on Nipple

Hi, how old is baby and how is weight gain? Are you pumping for any reason? Is baby nursing exclusively or being supplemented? if applicable, please explain about any pumping or supplements if you can.

This sounds like a bleb. They hurt like a bleep. A bleb or a plug is not going to prevent milk coming out necessarily. A friction blister is another possibility. Is the pain you are having stemming entirely from the this area, or have you been having more general nipple/latch pain as well?

Green poop is an entirely normal variation in poop color. I repeat there is nothing wrong with green poop assuming baby is healthy and gaining.

Fast letdown is only a problem if it is causing a problem. Some babies love a fast flow and others struggle with it. If your baby is struggling with the fast flow, here are the tried and true things that help:
    Encourage baby to nurse frequently. At least 10-12 times in 24 hours, more often is fine. If baby prefers to nurse one side at a time, fine. Let them.
    Lean back to whatever degree is comfortable when nursing, with baby positioned to some degree on top of you.
    If baby is having trouble when the milk starts to flow, take baby off and let the milk go into a cloth for a bit before you re- latch baby.

Info on blebs and plugs: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf and http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    Hi, how old is baby and how is weight gain? Are you pumping for any reason? Is baby nursing exclusively or being supplemented? if applicable, please explain about any pumping or supplements if you can.

This sounds like a bleb. They hurt like a bleep. A bleb or a plug is not going to prevent milk coming out necessarily. A friction blister is another possibility. Is the pain you are having stemming entirely from the this area, or have you been having more general nipple/latch pain as well?

Green poop is an entirely normal variation in poop color. I repeat there is nothing wrong with green poop assuming baby is healthy and gaining.

Fast letdown is only a problem if it is causing a problem. Some babies love a fast flow and others struggle with it. If your baby is struggling with the fast flow, here are the tried and true things that help:
    Encourage baby to nurse frequently. At least 10-12 times in 24 hours, more often is fine. If baby prefers to nurse one side at a time, fine. Let them.
    Lean back to whatever degree is comfortable when nursing, with baby positioned to some degree on top of you.
    If baby is having trouble when the milk starts to flow, take baby off and let the milk go into a cloth for a bit before you re- latch baby.

Info on blebs and plugs: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf and http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/
    My baby turned 7 weeks old today. His weight gain seems normal and I do not pump at all because I want the milk to stabilize and not produce more. I've followed what you said, however, I have another issue that has been a huge one and is affecting our household. My LO has much more than colic and no pediatrician is listening to me and really need help. Baby has been crying for more than 3 hours a day to a point where he started choking in his own cry. He didn't want me to feed him, rock him, nothing was working. He also throws up every feed (a lot and smells a bit). He hasn't pooped in 4 days so I haven't seen the green poop. Please help I'm worried that my baby is in so much pain and don't know what to do. He's ok probiotics and that's not helping either

Wow I am really sorry- I completely missed your response ^. It has been over a week since you last posted, so please give us an update?