Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shelf life

Default Shelf life

To help wean I've been mixing cow's milk with my milk. What is the shelf life when the two are mixed?

Default Re: Shelf life

When breastmilk and formula are mixed, the recommendation is to follow the guidelines for formula, since breastmilk is sturdier than formula.

I imagine the same rule would apply when mixing human milk and cow milk- use the guidelines for whichever has the least recommended shelf life. I imagine cow milk (at least cow milk as typically purchased in a store) is less sturdy than your expressed milk, but not really sure.

Because of this discrepancy, and the waste it can cause with expressed breastmilk needing to be discarded when it otherwise would not have been, what is most typically recommended is to not mix two different milks but rather (when more than the available breastmilk is needed) to give baby separate bottles of each. If your child is ready to eat cows milk, it should not have to be mixed with your milk. But maybe I am not understanding why you are mixing.

I'm trying to wean and have my Lo adjusted to cows milk before completely giving him cows milk. So far he is doing well. His bowels are the same and doesn't fuss when drinking it. I've been pumping only to help dry my milk up.

Ok I understand the desire to gradually transition but that does not mean you need to mix the 2 milks in the same bottle. When a baby is nursing rather than having breastmilk in bottles and their mom wants to transition them to cow's milk, she would do that by continuing to nurse while gradually introducing bottles of cow's milk. I am not saying there is anything bad about mixing, as far as I know there isn't, except it complicates storage options and might lead to unnecessary waste of your expressed milk.
    I assume your child is over a year old? As far as I am aware, the recommendation is breastmilk or formula until a year.