Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lip tie- 5 month old

Default Lip tie- 5 month old

My 5 month old isn't gaining much weight and my doctor asked to supplement but she refuses to take the bottle. I really want to make this work but am worried about her weight gain. She was gaining very well until she turned 3 months. She suddenly stopped eating much and cries and pulls away from my breasts even though she is hungry. I was wondering if anyone with experience with their baby and lip tie can tell me if she looks like she might have it?
    I don't know how to insert a picture though

Default Re: Lip tie- 5 month old

Hi. I would not suggest wasting your time trying to insert a picture. Even if your baby has lip tie that is not necessarily the problem.

It is normal for weight gain to slow down after 3 months, also that behavior sounds normal and common.

It would help to have a weight gain history (weight and day of life) so we can see if there really seems to be a problem with gain, and how severe it is. Also can you give us an idea how many times a 24 hour day baby nurses? Have you for any reason been pumping and/or baby getting any bottles? If so, please explain what has been going on there.

If it turns out baby is not gaining well despite nursing with normal frequency, your best bet is to see a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) as they will be able to help you figure out if baby is not able to transfer milk normally, or if your milk production is low, or what the issue may be and what can be done about it.

She was born 6.1 lbs and at her 4 month appt she was 10.9 lbs. now a week before her 5 months she is only 12.1lbs. Her diapers are not overly full when I change her either so I know she isn't eating enough. I definitely have enough milk and have controlled an oversupply and my let down. She barely feeds. She doesn't have reflux either, she's been checked for that.

Also she doesn't take the bottle at all,
    If she did I would pump and feed her that way but she absolutely hates the bottle. She nurses about 5-10 minutes sometimes even 2 minutes every hour because she doesn't finish feeding

Her diapers are not overly full when I change her either so I know she isn't eating enough.
    Well at this age, poops are pees are not as accurate a measure for intake as in the very early weeks. Also, What do you mean not overly full? Are you talking about pee or poops? I guess I do not understand what you mean by full...anyway, many babies start peeing less often and definitely pooping much less often (often going several days between poops) at this age. Not all, but most.

Anyway, accurately measured weight gain is by far the most accurate way to check if a baby is getting enough to eat, please check my math but here is what I am seeing:

Weight gain from birth to 4 months (12 weeks) was 4 and a half pounds.* I made a mistake here that I correct below* That is an average gain rate of 6 ounces a week. That is entirely normal gain for the newborn period which is when weight gain is faster than any other time in your child's life.

Then in the last 3-4 weeks(?) baby gained 1 and a half pounds. That is average gain of 6-8 ounces per week, depending on if it was 3 weeks or 4 weeks between those last two checks.

So rather than the weight gain rate slowing a bit, as actually would be entirely common and normal after 3-4 months, it looks like your baby is gaining the same or possibly even faster than before!

I would suggest talk to the pediatrician again, or get a second opinion, because accurately measured weight gain is the ONLY accurate way to check if a baby is getting enough to eat, and based on those numbers your baby is clearly getting enough to eat and doing fine and does not need supplemental feedings.

The nursing pattern you describe again, is entirely normal. I know everyone says babies nurse "less" as they get older but the reality is much more nuanced and varied. Yes some babies nurse less often, but many nurse MORE often as they get older, for many reasons. It is typical (although not universal) for nursing sessions to become shorter as a baby gets older, with sessions as short as 2-10 minutes entirely normal, but again very common for that to happen while frequency of nursing sessions either stays the same or increases.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; August 13th, 2017 at 06:02 PM.

* Ooops! Sorry, I just realized I did make a math mistake. So baby gained 4 and a half pounds in first 16 weeks of life, not 12 as I said before- correct?

So if baby did not lose any weight at first that would mean baby gained 4 and a half pounds in 16 weeks, which is average gain of 4.5 ounces per week. So, overall that is a little slow. Without knowing more, it is hard to know if it is a problem however. For example, most babies lose weight at first and so weight gain can usually only be measured from the end of week 1 or 2 depending on when baby started gaining. Many babies are not back to birth weight until around 2 weeks. If that was the case with your baby, that would bring the average up to just over 5 ounces a week, and 5 ounces per week is usually the lower edge that is considered normal gain. Also some babies gain more rapidly in the first 2-3 months and then gain slows.

But weirdly that makes the last 3(or 4) weeks of more rapid gain even more odd. Why would baby start gaining so much more rapidly at this point, when the norm is for gain to slow down? I do not have an answer, and I am not saying this is a problem, but I do wonder if scale error needs to be ruled out. But anyway, if it is true that baby is gaining normally NOW without supplements, then it makes sense to ask for more explanation from the doctor who is saying you should supplement.