Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: More demand less supply

Default More demand less supply

Good day monmies!
    I am new to la leche so i am not sure if there is a similar thread. Anyway, my baby is 3 months and 2 weeks.
    And recently i am having troubles feeding her. She nurses the same, which is frequent, i do not have a timetable as long as she shoves her hands in her mouth i will nurse her, i give her 10-15 minutes playtime and yhen back to nursing. She nurses a minimum of 1 hour up to 3 hours straight and she latches perfectly.

Now recently i noticed that after a few minutes into my breasts my baby pulls and tugs my nipples, she just pulls not remove and the. Stretches whole body like her legs seems to kick together. After a few minutes of doing this she gets mad and sometimes fusses.

Is my supply dwindlihg? Because that's how i feel.

Default Re: More demand less supply

Hi louiseyap. At 3 months or so, many moms start feeling that they do not make enough for their baby. It is very common. Almost all of the time, this is due to normal changes in how the breasts feel and how baby behaves and not because of any problem with milk production.

Milk production does not just 'dwindle' for no reason. Baby not nursing often enough, dehydration and some types of hormone based birth control are the most common causes for some reduction in production. So, has anything happened to reduce your production? It sounds like baby has been nursing both night and day, would that be at least 8-12 times a day? Is baby getting any formula supplements? Are you needing to pump at all due to separations from baby? If so, how is that going?
    Have you started using hormone-based birth control? Have you been extremely ill to the point you would be dehydrated?

This article offers good information on what I am talking about- how moms feel their production is low, when all is actually fine, etc. : http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/low-supply/