Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Accepting the Bottle

Question Accepting the Bottle

My 3 month old DD does not accept expressed milk from the bottle (given by my husband or someone else). She used to take milk from the bottle when she was 1-2 weeks old but I stopped to prevent nipple confusion. She seems to consider the bottle nipple as a foreign object and pushes it out with her tongue.

I sometimes need to keep her with her Dad for a few hours but now she has to come with me everywhere. Her Dad fed her with a syringe once and she gave him a very hard time so he will not babysit her anymore until she accepts the bottle!

Wink Re: Accepting the Bottle

we found new bottles out called breastflow, they are made by 1st years and they are sold at babies r us. quite expensive, but they are the only thing we found that my ds will accept. i work, so we have no choice. my husband has a t-shirt that i wore all night one night, and every so often i will do it again, so i leaked on it and my scent is on it. it is now dh "nursing shirt" he also has a method of switching sides, and allowing ds to self latch. the bottles actually mimic letdown, they work quite well. good luck

Default Re: Accepting the Bottle

another thread addressed this issue: under infant bf ?s try pg 3 or 4 posted by bobindy1 "best method to introduce bottle?" there is a link in there that has good references...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feedinghtml
    good luck

Smile Re: Accepting the Bottle

Is it possible your dd just doesn't like the nipples you are using? I bought several different kinds and the only ones my daughter will take are the Playtex nursers. However, every baby is different so you may have to experiment. I didn't realize how picky our little ones could be.

Also, are you trying to feed ebm in bottle or formula? Some babies won't drink formula as it is not as sweet tasting as mommy's milk. Mine won't.

Good luck!
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)