Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help! 2mo does not latch, he kicks out and cries

Unhappy Please help! 2mo does not latch, he kicks out and cries

I am trying to re-latch my 2 month old boy. Right now, I am pumping and feeding him via bottle and my breasts have enough milk and flow is very good. (like dripping)

I had a lactation consultant visit at 1st month, and she suggested with skin-to-skin, instant reward and nipple shield etc. This worked perfect for 15 days, and then I had to get my breast checked for masitits (breast lumps and needle pain) and he had to go on bottle.

I am sobbing and worried if my body is so bitter for him

Now at 2 month 1 week old, he does not latch again, I am using a feeding pillow for help with feeding
    1) when I try to put him in feeding position (lap or football), he cries and understands he is going to get breastfeed.

2) when I offer him nipple, he tastes/touches the nipple with tongue and refuses it. He does the same thing with nipple shield, I tried with multiple shields.

3) After long struggle, he sleeps in my lap in the feeding position on the sleeping pillow.

4) When he sleeps, I am trying to offer him nipple, as soon as he feels the nipple skin, he wakes up electrified and cries out loud. when I offer bottle in this position, he is feeling the bottle, then he is then taking it, If i replace it with my nipple after a minute, he feels the booby and cries out loud again. Is he too smart for his age ?

5) I tried in sleeping position, during sleep, but when feels the nipple, he feels electrified and kicks out.

6) once in a week or two when he sleeps in my lap, and when I offer nipple, he suckles for couple of minutes, but as soon as he wakes up, he starts cry loud and kicks and pinches my breast.

Please help with any tips. I don't know if I need to visit lactation consultant and how often do I need to visit her. Some how, I am worried to got lactation consultant because the last one I visited pressed my breast hard and I can't forget the pain even now. Not sure if this is normal or If I need to visit a new one.

Default Re: Please help! 2mo does not latch, he kicks out and cries

Just some more info, my husband and my mother are helping with bottle feed him most of the times. in a day 6 out of 8 feeding they are helping me out. Not sure if this contributes to anything. Baby still likes me and feels comfy in my hands though.

Sweetheart, your body is not bitter to your baby! He has been given bottles over and over and like any smart baby he has learned what he was taught, that bottles are the way to eat! If you want him to nurse again, you must teach him that the breast is where to eat- and to be comforted. You do that using the same techniques that worked before, or trying other similar things. I am not saying it is easy, it isn't. But it really is that simple.

I am very sorry that you were told you had to stop nursing and bottle feed due to mastitis or its treatment. That is simply not so, and if it happens again, please remember that the best thing you can do when you have mastitis or plugs is to keep nursing!

Ok, so here are some tips:
    1) when I try to put him in feeding position (lap or football), he cries and understands he is going to get breastfeed.
    Have you tried different positions? Those positions can actually feel very unnatural to a baby. Have you tried sidelying (you and baby lying, facing each other) or laid back nursing (you relaxed back, leaning back comfortably and supported on pillows or a couch back, baby on top of you, front to front?

Also, nursing pillows can sometimes get in the way of baby getting into a natural position on your body. You can do leaning back with a pillow if needed (because baby can be in any position) but the pillow might be hampering your ability to adjust the position to something you and baby are both comfortable with.

2) when I offer him nipple, he tastes/touches the nipple with tongue and refuses it
    Great that he is tasting and touching! That is a place to start. Since you are making so much milk you are leaking, and this is a little unusual at 2 months, I wonder if perhaps the milk flow is too fast for baby? Maybe try hand expressing a little first so the flow is less when baby latches?

He does the same thing with nipple shield, I tried with multiple shields.
    Any particular reason you are using a shield? Was baby able to latch before without one? If so, and the shield is not helping, I think you can stop worrying about using a shield.

After long struggle, he sleeps in my lap in the feeding position on the sleeping pillow.

4) When he sleeps, I am trying to offer him nipple, as soon as he feels the nipple skin, he wakes up electrified and cries out loud.
    Instead of having him sleep on you this way, can he instead sleep on you in the more leaning back position, skin to skin?

when I offer bottle in this position, he is feeling the bottle, then he is then taking it, If i replace it with my nipple after a minute, he feels the booby and cries out loud again. Is he too smart for his age ?
    Yes, he is a smart baby who learned to bottle feed, so he is smart enough to also learn to breastfeed. It will take patience and persistence, it is easier to get a baby habituated to bottles than to get them habituate to the breast, but the good thing about breastfeeding is there is a strong instinctual element. But that is another reason finding more natural feeding positions may help.

6) once in a week or two when he sleeps in my lap, and when I offer nipple, he suckles for couple of minutes, but as soon as he wakes up, he starts cry loud and kicks and pinches my breast.
    Again this sounds like the flow may be too fast. Leaning back as suggested above and also sidelying may help reduce the flow, or you can offer to nurse shortly after hand expressing or pumping and see if that helps at all.

Please help with any tips. I don't know if I need to visit lactation consultant and how often do I need to visit her. Some how, I am worried to got lactation consultant because the last one I visited pressed my breast hard and I can't forget the pain even now. Not sure if this is normal or If I need to visit a new one.
    Did she realize she had hurt you and what did she say? No, this is NOT normal. Unless this was a complete accident and she apologized profusely, An LC who presses your breast to the point it hurts you needs to be reported to her employer or the IBCLC certification board. That is ridiculous!

But yes you should see an different IBCLC if you possibly can. Your baby is not nursing and you want baby to nurse. This is exactly the kind of issue IBCLC's are trained to handle. Much can usually be done in one consult as long as it is long enough, however, follow up is sometimes necessary and should always be available.

Here is more about what to expect at a consult with an IBCLC: http://www.cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

Laid back breastfeeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf Remember the picture is just to give you a place to start. Baby can be in any position and you could be sitting up more if you wanted.

Many position and latch ideas: http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Nggkqw0aWCfRD3

getting baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/nb-...ack-to-breast/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; July 30th, 2017 at 01:19 PM.

Just some more info, my husband and my mother are helping with bottle feed him most of the times. in a day 6 out of 8 feeding they are helping me out. Not sure if this contributes to anything. Baby still likes me and feels comfy in my hands though.
    It might be better if you did most of the bottles? But in any case you should be doing by far most of the cuddling and holding. Everyone should be careful to give bottles in a breastfeeding supportive way. More: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxpIzcitLc8