Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby 5 days old. Breast don't feel full

Default Re: Baby 5 days old. Breast don't feel full

I told her has atleast 4 poopy diapers then what's the issue. She says may be he gets enough for just those and and not enough for him to grow and thrive. I don't know what was my mistake this time. I tried to be so careful and woke the baby every two hours or so. I just don't understand.

Mmm. I wouldn't give up if I were you. And I wouldn't introduce yet formula either. You seem like you feel like you are going to screw this up. But if what you are writing is true- you are doing everything right and only need to slightly increase the amount of milk taken in. Do you have any frozen milk? Have you pumped at all? Can you? So that the extra oz the baby gets per feeding is breastmilk? Your baby is having enough wet and poopy diapers. Maddie has suggested that the number of times that the baby eats in a 24hour period is a little low. Sometimes you can up that and sometimes, the "topping off" is needed. But if you pump-even if you do it just once a day- the top offs can come from you. My suggestion is to pump 1st thing in the morning- when you get up to pee. Most women yield the most from that 1st pump of the day and can get as much as 3-4 oz from both breasts then. If you are able to do that, you could use those additional oz one at a time for several feeds throughout the day. The 2nd suggestion I have is to see an IBCLC. Because she can maybe see something IRL that we can't. And also do the thing with you where she weighs the baby before and after a feed and see how much the baby is taking in during a feed. It is puzzling that your child has not gained weight. Still under 2 weeks right? I think it's a little soon for anyone to be throwing around any thing about his ability to thrive. He is eating at the breast and going to the bathroom. Right? It's not like he isn't latching on and it's not like he isn't taking in food. Those are the only things the baby needs to be able to do at this point beside sleep and honestly some babies this age are having trouble with one or both of these things. Your baby isn't. So that's positive. We need to just increase your output a little bit that's all. Try to pump tomorrow morning. See if you can find an IBCLC to make an appointment with and if possible today, have a nurse in. That's where you take the baby to bed with you all day, and stay skin to skin and just let the baby have as much access to the breast as wanted or needed to see if the constant ability to smell the milk and access the breast as wanted allows the baby to eat just a little bit more often. Don't give up and don't be scared. You can do this and so far you ARE. Don't allow that weight visit to throw off your confidence or your rountine. It's early. You can work out the kinks. You had a big baby. You are doing great.
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; August 2nd, 2017 at 09:12 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for your response. Yes he had enough pee poop diapers even before I was supplementing. I am so scared that I am gonna fail him. One thing I want to say is that my baby has never woken up for feeds. I am the one who need to wake him up every two to three hours even when I was just nursing. I hold him and I co sleep with him he never wakes up on his own. And one other thing. I pumped twice after his feed. By the time of next feeding he was really unhappy at breast. So if I pump even once. Wouldn't be unhappy at the breast by the time of feed. Now I wake him every 2.5 hours and he takes both breast and one ounce formula. (I have no other go) I am stressed out by his weight concern. Moreover if I hold him he is sleeping even more than waking up for feeds. I don't know why my baby won't wake up at all. I have a weighing scale at home.i weighed him before and after feed. He approximately took 2 ounces every 2.5 to 3 hours from my breast and I supplemented with 1 oz formula

One other thing I am pretty much confused is. Say my baby starts to feed at 12. And takes half an hour for both breast and one oz formula this all nearly happens until 1. So when should I wake the baby after that? Or sometimes if he is awake he nurses to sleep say at 1:15 he start to nurse to sleep. When should I wake him up again?

He has problems with latching now I am using nipple shield. So now he don't have any problem in latching. Even before nipple shield. He takes time to latch but once he latches he takes milk really well. I hear him swallow the milk.

2oz is really normal output. The average baby take in between 24 and 32 oz of milk in a 24 hour period. So the problem there seems to be that your baby is eating on the low side of things. If you can't get your baby to the breast more than 8 times in a 24 hour period than you will indeed need to top off until the baby is more alert and can eat more often. The good news is that at this point you are probably only supplementing about 8oz of formula which is not much at all!
    I hear your concerns about pumping and not having enough for the baby which is why I am only suggesting you do it once-1st thing in the morning. This time traditionally get the most yield with the least effort and rarely interferes with your ability to feed baby when they wake up. So whatever you get tomorrow. Even if it's only 2oz or 3 oz, leave it out @ room temp and use that before you use formula. So that you are using even less formula. This is beneficial to you in two ways: The 1st is-you should be stimulating your breast more than 8 times a day. So getting an extra session in in the AM is just that. Extra stimulation. The 2nd is that anytime you can supplement with your own milk rather than formula, it is better for you and the baby because formula takes longer to digest. Now an oz at a feed is not a lot and I don't anticipate it causing problems in the short term because your baby is still really sleepy. (Which often has to do with the pain meds we take for our c-section) but long term you will just get a truer picture of when your baby is actually hungry.
    Lastly- I don't want you to be discouraged by having to use the formula. It's not much and when formula is used in this way-to help a new mother continue to breastfeed successfully- it can be a very useful tool! Tomorrow you could end up using as little as 4 or 5oz only. Good Luck! Keep us posted!

Way too lazy for formula

I suggest second medical opinion and/or see IBCLC again. Something is not adding up with baby pooping so well and not gaining.

Also, as far as timing. So, when nursing sessions are timed, nursing sessions should be timed from the start of each session. So, if you are trying to nurse baby every 2 hours, then if baby nurses at 4 and nurses until 5:30, you still need to get that next session going by 6. Yes, this can seem crazy, which is why I do not like precise timing between sessions but rather saying baby should nurse at least 10-12 times a day-this just works out better usually because most babies nurse in clusters and not every such and such hours.

For the answer about supplementing, I would ask the doctor to tell you exactly how many ounces per 24 hour day she wants you to supplement baby. 1 ounce every 2.5 hours would be about 9-10 ounces per day. That seems high to me. Also get clarity on how long you should supplement before the weight is going to be checked again. Giving baby formula is a serious intervention. When a serious intervention is being done, I would expect that the weight would be checked again very soon. A week or 2 at most.

As long as you are supplementing, it is important to pump as often as you can to give your body the stimulation it is missing from baby being supplemented.

I had a weight check today. H gained 5 ounces. A8 pounds 1 oz. I was supplementing 2-3 oz formula as a top off. Not more than 3 oz a day. What's the normal pump output should be for every 2.5 hours. I just pumped and I got 1.5 oz. Both breast. I know my one breast has more milk but it did not get empty for the pump . Is it normal?

It depends on the time of day and woman. As I said, women often have a much harder time yielding late in the day. Is it morning time where you are?

Way too lazy for formula

Hi, I would not worry about pump output or if it is normal. At all. Pump output is not a good indicator of milk production because it normally varies so much and for so many reasons. That said, yes, 1.5 ounces is entirely normal output if mom is also nursing around the clock. More on this here: http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/pumping_decrease/ read the section on NORMAL pump output. 1.5 ounces well within normal according to this article.

Here is what I am wondering:
    I had a weight check today. H gained 5 ounces
    5 ounces gain...In exactly how many days of supplementing 3 ounces or less per day?