Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby 5 days old. Breast don't feel full

Default Re: Baby 5 days old. Breast don't feel full

Thanks for your reply. I think yesterday I got little freaked out. Your response means a lot to me. This is the pattern for today.

1:30am got up to nurse. Pooped. Nursed both sides. Got back to nap around 2:30 and I hand expressed few mls.

4:30 am got up to nurse. Nursed only one

7 15 am got up to nurse. Pooped. And nursed other side and slept.

9:30 am got up to nurse pooped but I don't did not show interest until 10 15.nursed both sides pooped again.

12 30pm nursed and pooped. He nurses one side and has some quiet time and nurses other side and sometimes awake and nurse to sleep. So it would take 1 hour at least to get two to three nursings.

4 15pm got up to nurse.pooped nursed both sides and nursed one side at 6 15to sleep at 6 30 . Pooped a little bit like a streak.

Waiting for him to wake up to nurse.

Poop meaning good amount. Mustard yellow with curds.
    Ok, this is sounding good except I think the nursing frequency is still just a little low-could be a little more. No need to wait for baby to wake, if it has been 3 hours, go ahead and wake baby. Also, hold baby while baby sleeps as much as you can, this will encourage more waking, and avoid pacifiers or swaddling or anything else that is designed to induce sleep. You want baby waking a little more often to nurse just to be sure. Newborns normally nurse between 10-15 times in 24 hours, not 8 or 9 times.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nivilovely View Post
    In-between I express few mls of milk and I feed him. Not much just less than 10ml. How long should I handexpress and how much at this point?
    I am sorry I cannot answer this question...if all is going normally, there is no need to express any milk with hand or pump, or feed baby any expressed milk except what they can get at the breast. However if it makes you feel better to hand express and give baby a few mils what you express, then fine, but the easier and better solution would be to try to get baby to nurse more often.

If you discover you truly are having a serious issue where baby cannot get enough milk at the breast no matter how much they nurse, (I do not think this is happening, but if it does) then first you have to figure out what the problem is (Is it that baby is not nursing normally or that you do not make enough milk, or a combination.) Also you need to know how much more baby needs. This is probably not something you will be able to figure out on your own, you will need help from a lactation consultant or at least a LLL Leader who has SEEN you and baby nursing.

I think it is still too early to assume there is any issue at all, but if you are believing baby cannot get enough milk from just nursing, I strongly suggest getting in person help as soon as possible.

As far as weighing baby, I agree, best to not do that unless you really need to! Remember different scales are calibrated differently and may cause numbers to be off, and only weigh baby once every few days just to be sure baby is starting to gain. Once baby starts gaining, an ounce a day is average gain. But some babies do not gain quite the quickly and all is well! So bring your charts to the doctor so they can also consider that baby is pooping nicely and how often baby is nursing.

Thank you. I will definitely get help. I am confident that he would gin at least a few oz on Monday. I hope what I am doing is right. So fingers crossed. does this considered as a nursing session? he wakes up takes both breasts and awake for 10 or 15 minutes quiet and ask for nursing again to go back to his nap? so it is considered as two nursing session am I right? I have put so much effort and I am very emotional regarding breastfeeding my baby and hoping for a weight gain. Thank you

he wakes up takes both breasts and awake for 10 or 15 minutes quiet and ask for nursing again to go back to his nap? so it is considered as two nursing session am I right?
    I would count that as two sessions.

From yesterday evening my baby wanted to nurse every hour hour or half an hour for three hours. And took a three hour nap and I woke him up. And then he wanted every hour to nurse. My breast feels really empty is it normal? He is a week old today. On day 3 and 4 breast felt really full. But thats not the case anymore? I have read people saying breasts don't feel full anymore. But I feel same way at week old. He had 5 poop episodes yesterday.

* people saying breasts don't feel full at 6 weeks

From yesterday evening my baby wanted to nurse every hour hour or half an hour for three hours. And took a three hour nap and I woke him up. And then he wanted every hour to nurse.
    Great!

My breast feels really empty is it normal?
    If baby is nursing with higher frequency and better efficiency, it would be normal to not feel "full" anymore. Feeling totally empty or like nothing is going on in the breasts - feeling like you did before you got pregnant? That would be unusual.

Every mom is different in how "full" or "empty" she might feel between nursing sessions, and how quickly she becomes "full." Some moms feel full between nursing sessions for many months, and some feel less full after just a week or two. Also, there is a difference between feeling some fullness or heaviness and being really full or engorged, being really full as you may have when your milk first came in is not something you want to happen for long.

Basically it does seem early for you to feel no breast fullness at all. But it is entirely normal to feel less full- even much less full- than when your milk first came in and baby was not nursing as well.

But this is another one of those areas that might normally vary. The proof is in the pudding...output (poops) and most importantly, weight gain.

5 poops in 24 hours is good. But it depends on the size of the poops. You can "count" any poop that could be scooped up in a teaspoon or larger. Baby may also have little streaks and dots of poop as well, but those do not "count."

If there is any issue with low milk production, your baby nursing very frequently as he is now, should help this. Also it is very important to stay well hydrated. Make sure you are eating enough and drinking enough water.

Thank you for the reply. Not feeling full like I used to feel on day 3 and day 4. But between nursing sessions. It does feel little empty but when he latches on start to suckle milk flows down in 4 or 5 suckles. So I figured out this is what new full means. And when he is nursing breast feels even for empty. So I think it is ok. Ya poop meaning good amount. Initially he had some difficulty latching only on my on my right side. He comes in puts him mouth around nipple and then opens The mouth and plays around nipple and pull back and won't latch alteast for few minutes. Other breast he was latching immediately. But past two days he does it on both breast. He would not latch for good two to three minutes. I rock him and change breasts positions. And somehow he will latch and suckle. I am not sure why does he do that?
    But whenever he starts to suckle milk flows down soon and he is content with that. But initial latching is tough with him. I am unable to find the reason.

Probably you are both just still learning. Just keep trying different latch ideas and positioning adjustments. Also try to get baby to the breast quickly, without delay as much as possible. Once a baby is upset, they can get disorganized and this can make it hard to latch. He is getting to the age where he might seem hungry all the time and very insistent on nursing lots. This is normal.

Well? How was the weight check?

Way too lazy for formula

He was same. 7 pounds 12ounces. I am so upset. And I don't understand whats wrong. My doctor asked me to supplement formula or breast milk. She asked me to feed him every 2.5 hours and give one ounce formula.