Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Baby 5 days old. Breast don't feel full

Default Baby 5 days old. Breast don't feel full

My baby is 5 days old. He has never nursed more than 10 minutes on average on either breasts. He is so sleepy and I have to wake him up to nurse. My milk came in on day 3 and I heard him swallow the milk. He got so many poop diapers tha day. But today on day 5. I don't feel full. When I offered him one breast he just nursed for 5 minutes and heard him swallow and he is asleep and not interested in nursing. I am so worried that I am not feeling full anymore and he is not interested for much time. I have seen my friends babies who nurses for 45 mins and wakes up to nurse. Why is my baby doesn't wake up to nurse even at 5 days old. I am very curious and worried, and he has not gained any. I feel like I am making a mistake . And I am not sure what it is. I am worried so much that even this time I have failed in breastfeeding .

Pls help

Default Re: Baby 5 days old. Breast don't feel full

Hi nivilovely. Many babies are very sleepy the early days and many babies nurse short periods at a time, and even not feeling "full" can be normal. However, these all might indicate a problem, the key is knowing if baby is starting to gaining weight.

iirc your baby lost lots at first which again, can be normal. But you want to see baby starting to gain by now. Have you had another weight check and how did that go?

Can you describe more about your baby's poops? How many times did baby poop in the last 24 hours? What color are they? If you had to scoop them up in a spoon, would you use a teaspoon, a tablespoon of a serving spoon? Or are you just seeing dots or small streaks of poop?

About how many times in 24 hours does baby nurse? You may need to wake your baby to nurse. Are you doing that? You also may need to do things while baby nurses to encourage the sleepy baby to nurse longer. Breast compressions can help baby get a 'shot' of milk and want to nurse longer. You can stroke and talk to baby, or "pump" his hand or foot. I used to gently jiggle my son's chin when he slowed down and we were concerned he was not getting enough.

I feel like I am making a mistake . And I am not sure what it is. I am worried so much that even this time I have failed in breastfeeding .
    It is way to early to think that breastfeeding is not going to work out for you, even if there is a problem, breastfeeding problems can almost always be solved and baby go on to nurse fine. Do you have lactation consultants where you live? La leche league groups or any other breastfeeding support? You may have to look. Even if all is well I think you need reassurance and if you do need help, getting in person help is the fastest way to solve breastfeeding issues.

Hi maddieb

I had a weight check today. He weighed 7lbs 12oz. This was the weight he weighed on Tuesday in the hospital. On Wednesday after a nursing session he weighed 7 lb 14 oz. So pediatrician said he went back 2oz. I wake my baby to nurse. And encourage him to nurse more and more. I'd say poop diapers like not just streaks I will definitely say I would use arleast a tablespoon to scoop. He had 4 poop diapers for that size on Thursday. And one poop diapers like a streak. So totally 5. I see pee Everytime I nurse him. So I feel he should be gaining if this is all right. I have one more weight check appointment on Monday. And the pediatrician said he should atleast start to gain 1oz per day. Or maintain the weight. I am hand compress after he nurse and feed him when he is awake for next feed. I get few mls. I didn't want to use pump since it produces oversupply.
    I am nursing him atleast 8 /perday or even more than that. He has quiet periods say for ten minutes before he goes back to sleep.

His poop color has changed to mustard yellow. Definitely good amount of poop.

There is la leche group where I live. I have spoken with someone regarding few issues for my first kid. I can call someone and talk .

How does the urine output looks like for 5 days old? Yesterday when my breast felt full he had good urine output and today since it is not feeling full his urine output is not soaking the diapers. I am sorry if I am asking too many questions but I don't want to starve my baby. I want him to thrive instead going back in weight.

Ok my best suggestion is to Try to nurse baby more often. 8 times a day may not be quite enough, 10-12 would be better. I know it is hard when baby is so sleepy but that should be changing and until then, best if you can get baby nursing a bit more often. Keep a simple chart as otherwise you will not remember how many times baby has nursed.

Hi maddieb

I had a weight check today. He weighed 7lbs 12oz. This was the weight he weighed on Tuesday in the hospital. On Wednesday after a nursing session he weighed 7 lb 14 oz. So pediatrician said he went back 2oz. I wake my baby to nurse. And encourage him to nurse more and more. I'd say poop diapers like not just streaks I will definitely say I would use arleast a tablespoon to scoop. He had 4 poop diapers for that size on Thursday. And one poop diapers like a streak. So totally 5. I see pee Everytime I nurse him. So I feel he should be gaining if this is all right. I have one more weight check appointment on Monday. And the pediatrician said he should atleast start to gain 1oz per day. Or maintain the weight. I am hand compress after he nurse and feed him when he is awake for next feed. I get few mls. I didn't want to use pump since it produces oversupply.
    I am nursing him atleast 8 /perday or even more than that. He has quiet periods say for ten minutes before he goes back to sleep.
    This all sounds ok. Especially this:
    I'd say poop diapers like not just streaks I will definitely say I would use arleast a tablespoon to scoop. He had 4 poop diapers for that size on Thursday. And one poop diapers like a streak. So totally 5. I see pee Everytime I nurse him.
    It is also very good poops have transitioned to yellow. This is all exactly how it should be.

The weight checks may be off, as I have said before everytime different scale is used, it might be off, also human error is a factor. Doctor is right, you should definitely start seeing weight gain by next appointment. I think baby is almost certainly gaining now, but you have to keep looking at those poops. If you get worried before Monday, is there somewhere else you can take baby for weight check?

Do not worry about pees if baby is pooping enough, pees do not matter. It is hard to 'soak" a disposable diaper with one pee if you are as small as a newborn baby.

Only pumping too much or too often would cause OP. If it turns out to be needed, better to pump enough to have enough milk even if it means you get a slight OP than to not pump if it is needed.

On the other hand, hand expression does exactly what a pump would so if that is working for you and you would rather not pump, fine to keep hand expressing if needed.

Yes call or better yet arrange a visit with a LLL leader if possible.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; July 28th, 2017 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks for your reply. I think yesterday I got little freaked out. Your response means a lot to me. This is the pattern for today.

1:30am got up to nurse. Pooped. Nursed both sides. Got back to nap around 2:30 and I hand expressed few mls.

4:30 am got up to nurse. Nursed only one

7 15 am got up to nurse. Pooped. And nursed other side and slept.

9:30 am got up to nurse pooped but I don't did not show interest until 10 15.nursed both sides pooped again.

12 30pm nursed and pooped. He nurses one side and has some quiet time and nurses other side and sometimes awake and nurse to sleep. So it would take 1 hour at least to get two to three nursings.

4 15pm got up to nurse.pooped nursed both sides and nursed one side at 6 15to sleep at 6 30 . Pooped a little bit like a streak.

Waiting for him to wake up to nurse.

Poop meaning good amount. Mustard yellow with curds.

In-between I express few mls of milk and I feed him. Not much just less than 10ml. How long should I handexpress and how much at this point?

I have a baby weighing scale in home. I can use that . Just. I didn't used that to stop freaking me out