Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Newborn baby weight concern pls help

Default Newborn baby weight concern pls help

Please I need some reassurance. My baby boy was born on July 23rd via c section. He was 8 pounds 13 oz birth weight. Today July 26. He weighs 7 pounds 14 ounces. More than 10% weight loss. Which made pediatric nurse concerned for the baby and asked me to supplement formula twice a day.

My milk came in on 25 the evening which the lactation consultant confirmed. She checked and saw me nursing the baby.

About the baby. He was the really really sleepy the first day. He had lots of pee diapers and 4 meconium diapers on day1. After that he did not poop the 2nd day but I have been put him on breast every two hours. Today morning he pooped it was green. And he had one more poop after few hours it was green. Baby seems content after every feeding. What mistake is going on why doesn't he gain weight instead of losing so much.

I know c section babies sleep a lot. But today he is a lot better and eating well. I said I will not supplement formula because I know my milk is there. I can hear him suckle and swallow.

I had too much amniotic fluid. Is that a reason that he had too many meconium stools and fluid in his body which he lost in three days? Please help

Default Re: Newborn baby weight concern pls help

I am not sure what the answer is, in terms of WHY, but I know *I* wouldn't be worrried about a baby who even after losing a whole lb still weighed almost 8lbs. I would wait and see where the baby is after a week. My son weighed 8lbs, 2 oz when he was born and my milk didn't come in for 5 day (Also a c-section) and he didn't lose a whole lbs but he got down to 7lbs 9oz in the 1st 4 days while living off colostrum alone (I didn't supplement. I gave birth in Berkeley Ca and my nurses did NOT pressure me to do so) and I remember thinking that I knew that some babies are born at term and only weight 5.5 or 6lbs. So I wasn't going to worry for a WHILE. I have never heard of too much amniotic fluid being a reason for an in flated birthweight. But I HAVE heard that the amount of fluids that get pumped into you during a c-section doing that. So if you are still at the hospital? Ask the LC when she comes back around.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree with djsmom. It would help to get the LC in there to reassure you and your nurse!

The slightly 'dramatic' loss could be entirely explained by fluids on board due to C-section , baby expelling lots shortly after birth and baby sleepy. Also Birth weights are just very unreliable. From now on, make sure that all checks are done on the same scale and make note when they are not.

Remember the 7 pounds 14 ounces weight. That is what all weights should be measured by going forward, not birthweight.

As long as baby is nursing with good frequency now and pooping several times a day, you are probably back on track. If you have to wake baby to nurse more, do it. It is common for baby to be overly sleepy first week or two especially after C-section and some need to be encouraged to nurse more often. Skin to skin contact (holding baby on your chest, both of you with as little on as possible) as much as you possibly can will help.

More on what to expect these early days: http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/

Poop chart: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

waking sleepy baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...py_newborn.pdf

Nurses should never prescribe formula. It is a medicine for sick babies who otherwise cannot get enough to eat, not healthy babies who are doing normally, and should ONLY be prescribed by a doctor and only when absolutely needed.

Thanks a lot for your responses.he has got three green poop diapers far today. And my milk came in and he is nursing too. I have a pediatrician appointment tomorrow. Not sure what she is going to say for the weight. But anyway I don't think I need to supplement with formula.

I have put so much effort to exclusively breastfeed my baby. So I will give anything to achieve that . Thank you

Are you home? Or are you still in the hospital?

Way too lazy for formula

I came home today

.he has got three green poop diapers far today
    This is a good sign, if you look at the diaper log I linked 3 poops on day 3 is appropriate. Green is normal, as your milk transitions from colostrum to "mature" milk and the meconium clears out, green is a normal transition color.

Make sure baby is weighed on a digital infant scale, either naked or in dry diaper. Ask for another check if the number seems off to you. Your baby's weight will most likely still be well below birthweight (normal at this point) but probably starting to increase from that lowest known weight. Most likely the scale will be different, so that can throw things off.

If the doctor suggests formula, tell them how often baby is nursing (it should be 10-12 times or more in 24 hours) and what the poop pattern is. Tell them you can hear baby swallowing. And tell them how much you want to avoid formula. Basically tell them what you have told us! Usually there are other things to try if gain seems slow, yet doctors too often give formula as the first choice because it is easy and few mothers object. Go ahead and object, and see if they would be open to another plan.

Thanks for you response. I will tell them. I have other concern which I have posted as a new thread