Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unsure about weight gain 5 weeks

Default Unsure about weight gain 5 weeks

This is my fifth baby, and all have been on the lower end of the weight spectrum. My pediatricion has told me to supplement with formula for all of them. I listened to him the first time, and that made the situation go from what was probably fine to bad to worse, and he ended up being exclusively formula fed. With my twins and my last baby i didnt listen to him and just kept doing my best exclusively breastfeeding, but they all remained at the lowest number acceptable. (they are all miraculously fine btw)

So at birth my newest baby weighed 5 lb 7 oz. He was exactly at his birth weight at 10 days. Three weeks after his 10 day checkup he weighed 6 lb 9 oz. It took him a full week to learn how to latch (two weeks early, knot in cord and wrapped around neck, weak for first week) and he still doesnt SEEM like he nurses that well. He has good output (5-6 wet, 1-2 poo) and is relatively happy besides being impossible to keep sleeping due to horrid reflux/vomiting. My ped isnt happy with his growth (as usual) but i dont know whether his concerns are valid or if my baby is fine though at the lower end of the weight chart. I nurse him whenever he wants... sometimes every hour (mornings and evenings) and sometimes he goes 3-4 (warm sleepy afternoons and nights). Some days i think he is feeding so good and other days im wondering if hes forgotten he needs milk to survive??

Can somebody just let me know if his weight is okay and if im doing okay breastfeeding (to you know, calm the nerves, make me stop googling questions every feeding) or if i need to start taking greater meausres to increase weight gain. THANKS!

Default Re: Unsure about weight gain 5 weeks

Hi. So sorry you are having this concern. I will try to offer some suggestions, but first I have some questions, hope that is ok.

My ped isnt happy with his growth (as usual)
    Aside the weight gain, how are other growth parameters?

Were all weight checks on the same scale? this almost never happens, but if you could note when it was a different scale that would help.
    Were the scales always digital infant scales? Any reason to convert the numbers (from grams to ounces, for example.) Was the person doing the weight checks always focused and careful? Baby only in dry diaper or naked?

So at birth my newest baby weighed 5 lb 7 oz. He was exactly at his birth weight at 10 days.
    That sounds normal, but do you have a lowest known weight? In other words, do we have any idea how much baby lost after being born?

Three weeks after his 10 day checkup he weighed 6 lb 9 oz
    So if these checks were accurate, baby gained 18 ounces in 21 days. Am I right? That seems like normal gain. What is the pediatrician expecting gain to be?

He has good output (5-6 wet, 1-2 poo)
    That output is actually a little on the low side, but it may not matter if gain is normal.

besides being impossible to keep sleeping due to horrid reflux/vomiting.
    ? Do you mean spit up? Spit up is entirely normal...what about it is making it horrid? Your baby seems to be gaining fairly normally, so your baby could not have pyloric stenosis, which would cause projectile vomiting...maybe it would help to have a little clarification here.

I nurse him whenever he wants... sometimes every hour (mornings and evenings) and sometimes he goes 3-4 (warm sleepy afternoons and nights).
    A newborn baby usually needs to nurse at least 10-12 times in 24 hours, and some need to nurse more often. A single stretch in 24 hours of about 4 hours of no nursing is probably fine as long as baby is nursing frequently enough the rest of the time. What happens if you offer to nurse baby more often? Is baby ever interested? Will baby nurse to sleep? Is baby sleeping in close proximity to you? Are you able to hold baby most of the time? all of these tend to increase rate of gain.

To me with the info you have given, it sounds like your baby is gaining ok but not gangbusters. I assume if the doctor wants you to supplement, it is only a few ounces a day? That much more intake may well could be accomplished by nursing just a little more frequently.

Hi, thanks so much for your response. I realize how many details my post was lacking, sorry about that. I decided to go get the baby re-weighed in a couple days using the same scale and then ill be able to ask the doctor some of the questions and get you some better details. I also realize from some of your questions that i dont even know how im counting times he eats, and how to count his poos and wees, so let me get a better idea of some of this and ill repost a new thread with a clearer scenario- thanks so much for your help...

Here is a chart that can help you count poops. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf As long as baby is pooping typical amounts, you do not really have to worry about pees.

As far as counting nursing, when I had to do this, I just took a piece of paper and put the date on top, and made three columns- first column for time (such as 3:30 PM) In the second column I wrote what side (Left or Right, of course sometimes baby nursed both sides) and how long baby nursed (such as L:15 minutes) and then the third column was for notes if needed ('Baby fell asleep nursing', or 'baby was fussy after nursing', or "baby did not want other side" or whatever. You can skip that third column if you want I just liked having it for notes. Of course you can also combine a poop and nursing frequency chart.

This way you have a record- not just for yourself, but if it becomes necessary, to show the doctor if they are wondering how often baby is eating.

There is no reason to keep charts like this if baby is gaining fine, and your baby may be. But it can help you just to have a handle on what is going on (without charting how could you possibly remember, it is all a blur) and also if anyone is questioning whether baby is getting enough to eat.

This is a article I think can be helpful during these early weeks: http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/