Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 day old, lots of poop but less pee

Default 4 day old, lots of poop but less pee

Hi, I have a 4 day old. He has a poop after pretty much every feed and they're yellow now with seeds. We saw doctor today and he's started to regain weight. However he hasn't peed for 12 hours. Lots of poop, but no pee. I breastfed my twins so I am pretty confident this time around about keeping his interest at the breast etc. He's currently cluster feeding. Any thoughts or advice on the pee? Doctor wants me to call if no pee by 7pm. Thank you!

Default Re: 4 day old, lots of poop but less pee

Update, so of course ten minutes after I posted this, he peed. Would still love to hear what everyone would think or do, and is it normal to have all these poops but have gone 12 hours before a pee?

Hi and congratulations!

Most likely the poop is hiding the pee. If baby is pooping normally no need to worry about pee, (assuming baby has proven they CAN pee, as your baby has.) Pees are something that are watched in the absence of normal poop amount or normal gain to make sure baby is not getting so little milk they are in danger of becoming dehydrated. No baby who is in any way dehydrated would have those lovely wet and frequent poops, also poops being yellow at 4 days is great sign all is well. A baby who is getting enough breastmilk to poop like that could not possibly need more fluid than they are getting, and a baby who is already starting to gain 4 days after birth is clearly getting enough milk. Cluster feeding of course is normal and very good. You may have had to do lots of measuring or other interventions before with newborn twins??? If so, just know that normally that is not needed and you can probably relax a bit now that things seem to be off to a good start. This is a good article on the early weeks you may like: http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/

Thank you for your reply, and that all makes a lot of sense. I switched back to the pampers with blue strip they gave me at the hospital and now I see he's peeing a lot so I wonder if I was missing the pee due to the poops like you said.

Yes, I had to do all that weighing, waking, etc. with my twins. Plus pumping after every feeding etc. It was so much work and while it was worth it, I'm so glad not to have to do that this time. This time, the hospital staff seemed to think it strange that I wasn't going by "feed him every three hours" or whatever but this baby was cuing to eat a lot more than that--more than the "12 times per day" rule even. So they thought I was feeding him a lot but were also happy with his output. Of course the two go hand in hand! I just want to establish a good milk supply so I'm not worried about him eating so frequently right now. Still way easier than what took place with the twins!

more than the "12 times per day" rule even. So they thought I was feeding him a lot but were also happy with his output. Of course the two go hand in hand!
    of course! I hate that they put a number on nursing sessions, as it so often leads to moms worrying when baby wants to nurse more and clearly confuses health care providers who do not understand that the often stated number (10-12) or time line (every 2 to 3 hours) are MINIMUMS and that most babies nurse more often and in cluster patterns and in many cases much more often! Enjoy your dear new baby and how much easier it will be this time around. Sounds like you are both doing great.