Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help! Hives occured afterbirth. wanna keep breastfeedin

Question Need help! Hives occured afterbirth. wanna keep breastfeedin

hives.jpg

Hello, I`m Sejung Son, from Seoul, South Korea
    I really need some help for solving the problem for my wife.
    My wife gave birth to a beautiful daughter, Siha, 4 days ago.
    She`s healthy, lovely, wonderful.
    but after her birth, 1 or 2 hours later, some kind of hives began to spread both thighs of my wife.
    Feeling really itchy, my wife scratched them with her nails, then the hives spread more - to the extent of both of her entire legs, and now even of her arms.
    This itchy feeling prevents her from sleeping, so she could sleep barely an hour or two.
    She really wants to breastfeed Siha, but if this symtom gets worse, she will have to use medicines, which will make her stop breastfeeding, for it can harm her daughter.

If there is an kind of method(natural, aroma thrapy, harmless medicine, etc.) to sooth her agonizing pain without hindering breastfeeding, plz let me know

(My wife didn`t have any kind of allergic problem since her birth)

Default Re: Need help! Hives occured afterbirth. wanna keep breastfe

Hi. Most medicines are safe to take when breastfeeding. topical medicines in particular are probably safe, but oral ones are as well. I would suggest see what the doctor suggests for treatment and have them give you a few options. Then look up what the are suggesting here: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/news/lactmed_announce_06.html

If you can get ahold of the book Medications and Mothers Milk by Dr. Hale that would also have info on the safety of various medicines when mom is nursing. Do not go by what the doctor says, many doctors are under the mistaken impression that mothers cannot take any medications at all when nursing and this is completely false. If needed, can you talk to a lactation consultant? (IBCLC) where you are?

For itchy rashes usually the most immediate relief can be found with a topical anti-itch medicine. In the US these can be found over the counter and would be safe to use when nursing. I am sure there are natural treatments but I am not sure what would be powerful enough to give your wife the immediate relief she needs when things are so bad. But if you want to explore that route, do an online search for "natural remedies for itchy skin" or "Natural treatment for hives" etc. and you will find many suggestions.

Of course I have no idea what is going on with your wife that she has these hives, but if she has never had a skin allergic reaction I would wonder if we are talking bug bites and not allergies? Perhaps the hospital or birthing center had a bed bug problem? It would not be the first time such a thing has happened.

But even in that case, your wife can continue to nurse.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; July 16th, 2017 at 08:46 PM.