Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting an active baby to nurse more during the day?

Default Getting an active baby to nurse more during the day?

My 9 month old has always been a distractible nurser, and now that he's getting more mobile (crawling and furniture cruising) he is really uninterested in slowing down to nurse during the day...and making up for it at night. Do you know of any ways that I could gently encourage him to nurse more during the day? I'm not looking to night wean or anything, just hoping to give him what he needs and get a little more sleep. Thanks!

Default Re: Getting an active baby to nurse more during the day?

Hi lil-as mama. With a super active baby I would suggest try getting down and close to baby whatever baby is doing while topless and see if that gets baby interested! Also this is a time comfort nursing is often needed as the exploring baby is bound to get bumps. If baby gets an owie or gets scared, that may be a good time to cuddle baby and offer to nurse rather than reassuring baby another way.

Thanks maddieb! He usually has no patience for being comforted, either, but I tried comfort nursing after a particularly upsetting owie today and he took to it! So it's good to know that will work at least some of the time. And I will try the other thing too. Thanks for the tips!

The getting down on the floor topless is really good advice. When my son was that age he had zero interest in stopping the exploring to eat. But if I became a piece of his scenery-that he could use to cruise, he would engage in Drive-by nursing. Where he would climb on me, or by me, and if a nipple was in his line of sight? He would pop it in his mouth and take a few gulps before moving on.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks! I'll give it a try!