Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 month old spit ups and weight gain

Default 1 month old spit ups and weight gain

How do I make it stop?! I'm concerned about weigh gain.

My daughter was born on 6/14/17 at 41 weeks after an unmedicated vaginal delivery weighing 8 lbs 14.5 oz, 20.5 inches long. Baby got down to 8 lbs 4 oz and was back up to 8 lbs 11.5 oz 5 days after birth (6/19/2017).

Baby never spit up on the colostrum. The spitting up started about at about 1.5-2 weeks old. It's enough that if I cupped my hands together it would fill up my hands. Sometimes it's watery, and sometimes it has digested milk in it (the curds). Diaper output has been good and poops are a mustard color and seedy. However, sometimes it's just mustard colored and watery.

I have weighed her before and after feeds with my home infant scale and she had been taking 4 oz from one breast at the 2 week mark (which I feel like is way too much for a 2 week old). She always just nurses from one breast per nursing session then I nurse on the other side the next session. She usually nurses every 2 hours, but sometimes after 30 min or up to 3 hours.

At first it was just happening once every couple of days but recently it's been atleast a once a day occurrence or up to 3x a day with the massive amounts. Sometimes it's during the feeding, right after, or 30 minutes after. I have called the lactation consultant at the hospital and they told me to try the following: laid back breastfeeding, taking her off during letdown (I have overactive letdown), "koala" nursing position, and taking her off after a few minutes to burp her to see if she is still hungry after. The pediatrician office told me to try a slow flow bottle (but I don't really want to turn to bottles yet).

I want to be able to nurse on demand. And don't want to give her a paci for comfort. I would rather be he comfort. However, I feel like the comfort nursing might be make her spit up more.

I have a home infant scale and I weighed her today and she weighs anywhere from 10 lbs .5 oz or 10 lbs 2 oz. We go back tomorrow to the pediatrician for her 1 month check up and I'm just nervous.

My 3 year old (whom I nursed til 2.5) had the exact same spitting up issue except she started throwing up colostrum at the hospital. Her weight started in the 25th percentile then she got down to the 1st percentile and stayed there. Once she got to the 8-9 month mark she finally quit spitting up so much and started gaining weight a little better.

Any words of wisdom or advice on any other nursing techniques would be appreciated I stressed so much about my firsts weight I don't want to stress again.
    Last edited by @llli*mrsgraham; July 13th, 2017 at 07:03 PM. Reason: For diaper info

Default Re: 1 month old spit ups and weight gain

So lowest known weight was 8 and 4 and baby now weighs about 10? - so that is overall gain of a pound and a 3/4...This sounds like normal gain. What am I missing? If baby weighed 8 and 12 at one week and is 10 pounds now, that is gain of 20 ounces in 3 weeks...or almost 7 ounces a week...entirely normal gain. Basically from those numbers is sound like baby is gaining on average somewhere between 6 and 9 ounces a week, and that is good, normal gain. Poop output sounds in all ways entirely normal. Seedy is not a requirement of normal poops. Watery is common when mom has fast letdown.

I do not know what was going on with your older child, but spit up in a baby is almost always entirely normal and not typically a cause of slow gain. In fact lots of spit up often accompanies fast gain, since babies who spit up a lot often are getting lots of milk. In other words if your older child gained abnormally as a baby and that was due to spit up, that would be a rare situation.

I am personally experienced with overproduction and fast letdown. It sounds to me like you have a little overproduction and fast letdown going on. Since baby is gaining well and output is normal, I would suggest best to just wait this out. Your milk production will calm down over time. Probably no need to try to decrease your production by block feeding and I do not recommend that at this point at all.

Spit up is an excellent way for babies to get excess milk out of tummy and this is a common reason why they do it so much. Spit up, even lots of it, is entirely normal and in fact may help bathe the sinuses with breastmilk, giving baby even more immunological protection. Yes this is an actual theory held by many experts who are trying to explain why nature wants babies to spit up so much. We know nature wants this, because most babies spit up frequently.

I have called the lactation consultant at the hospital and they told me to try the following: laid back breastfeeding, taking her off during letdown (I have overactive letdown), "koala" nursing position, and taking her off after a few minutes to burp her to see if she is still hungry after.
    All great ideas, I would add to this encouraging baby to nurse frequently. The more often baby nurses, the less milk baby gets at once. If baby is most happy nursing one sided, that is fine too and works particularly well when baby nurses very frequently. Also I am not a big believer in worrying about burping a baby, in my experience if baby needs to be helped to burp, they let you know. Also burping to see if baby wants more is a bottle feeding strategy. Your baby may want to nurse more for comfort and this is normal and good for baby. Yes even if that means more spit up.

The pediatrician office told me to try a slow flow bottle
    ? What is that supposed to do? This is advice for a bottle fed baby.

Words of advice? If your breastfed baby is gaining normally and nursing is not hurting you, all is well. Relax and enjoy parenting a newborn and a three year old. Well, relax as much as you can while parenting a newborn and a three year old! If doctor decides baby is gaining slowly and suggests bottles or supplements, get back to us. A baby who can take in 4 ounces at a time and whose mom is making more than enough milk should not need supplements! Remember that using different scales throws weight check accuracy off. Also baby must be weighed in a dry diaper or naked.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; July 13th, 2017 at 07:43 PM.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. The appointment went well today, weighed 10 lbs and doc said baby is doing well. I plan on continuing to utilize the nursing techniques the lactation consultant recommended.

Very interesting theory with the spit up and the sinuses and immunological protection! It makes sense to me.

I believe I just need to have my husband hide the baby scale so I'm not weighing her all the time and stressing myself out.

I believe I just need to have my husband hide the baby scale so I'm not weighing her all the time and stressing myself out.

I suppose it is too big to freeze it in a block of ice