Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diflucan prescribed for toddler-Need Info

Default Diflucan prescribed for toddler-Need Info

Hello all, this is our first prescription for an anti fungal.

My daughter has had a mystery rash for a month now and the only thing that has cleared it is motherlove thrush ointment. I took her to the NP because I keep chasing new rashes that pop up.

The NP said her mouth looked clear but she did have a pearly finish to her saliva-I have had pain in nipples-so we do think that the rash is from thrush.

Has anyone else ever seen a rash come up on a baby with thrush like this?

Is diflucan safe to give to toddlers-she is 24 months, 29 pounds and they prescribed 7 MLs once a day of 10mg/1ml diflucan for 5 days.

I am seeing conflicting info for dosing and if this is safe for 2 year old children-can you all give me some information that I can reference for peace of mind? TY so much.

Default Re: Diflucan prescribed for toddler-Need Info

Where is the rash? My oldest had a mystery diaper rash for the first month of her life that only cleared up when I started taking probiotics (I didn't get diagnosed with thrush till much later and she didn't need any treatment other than probiotics). Have you tried using probiotics for your daughter? You can buy probiotics specifically for kids, or you can open a capsule and just sprinkle some of the powder on a finger to suck off, or on yogurt or something.

That said, nipple pain that has an onset after a pain-free period is frequently thrush so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that that is what you're dealing with. The other possibilities include pregnancy or your menstrual cycle (some women have nipple sensitivity around ovulation or during their periods - not sure if you've gotten AF back yet).

As for the dosage, I think that it's worth talking to the pharmacist dispensing the medication to verify dosage if you're concerned. I'm honestly not sure what the correct dosage is for a toddler. That said, I know that diflucan is given to even newborn babies for fungal infections, so I would think that in the proper dose it would be safe for a toddler.

Good luck mama, hope that helps.

I started her on a good quality probiotic for infants from Dr Wolfson-the good guys it is called-about a week prior to the rash coming up. That made me question if the rash was a result of the probiotic so I stopped it and Ive been dealing with this rash for a month now. The pharmacist said it was the right dosage I am just anxious because of past issues with my son I think-so if we haven't had any experience with the meds I do get antsy. The rash started on her ribcage as a few dots then bloomed when cortisone was applied-aveeno was applied and it got worse so I just started using motherlove thrush and it healed it. I am chasing this rash on her body right now, when I get one spot healed, another pops up!

Rashes really are the worst! If the diflucan doesn't clear it up, maybe it's time to see a dermatologist?