Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 week old constipated?

Default 3 week old constipated?

My baby is 3 weeks old now and EBF. Up until yesterday he has been pooping 2-4 times a day and it's always been a little orange and not super seedy. He didn't poop yesterday and lately he has seemed very uncomfortable and passing a lot of gas. I've been burping him after every feed but he's still very gassy. He finally pooped a tiny bit but it was really thick like clay, no liquid at all. What could be causing this? Does that mean he is constipated?

Default Re: 3 week old constipated?

His sphincter muscles are just developing. As they get stronger, they don't poop every feed. And EBF babies? Won't always poop every day. The color and consistency of peanut butter simply means that it was sitting up there "collecting" for a bit. And you need to NOT do the thing where you assume that the baby feels like YOU WOULD if he doesn't poop. Because it's not the same. And I get it. I had a baby tht was pooping 3-5 times a day and then bam. No poop. I was SURE he constipated. And also SURE that every grunt and cry was connected to him not pooping. It wasn't. Babies cry. I let my Pedi stick her pinky up his rectum on day 4. Don't do that. She told me nothing was wrong. That breastfed babies don't always go every day. I didn't believe her. So I wasted the co-pay money and had to watch that. As you can imagine that did NOT make my infant very happy. I asked as I left "When DO I call you? When do we consider this a problem?!" They said "Don't even call us back until day 9." He went on day 7. And it was a poopapaloosa. But I relaxed. And then after that, I just chalked it up to one of the many benefot of breastfeeding. Sometimes you don't have to change poopy diapers everyday. Because they absorb so much more of their food.
    In terms of being able to tell regular poop from constipated poop- and you will at some point encounter the latter- Seedy mustardy poop-no problem. Peanut butter poop-also no problem. EBF babies don't get constipated. But at the point you introduce solid food it probably WILL happen. And you will know because the will be little dark pellets. Like rabbit poop. When it happened to my baby I referred to it as Stinky Marbles. And when THAT happens just breasfeeed more!
    But today? You can't stop worrying. Everything is fine.

Way too lazy for formula

I agree a 3 week old baby who is breastfed is not going to be constipated and constipation treatments are not typically appropiate. Breastmilk is not in any way constipating, in fact the reverse is true. However a baby this young is generally pooping a pretty liquidy poop several times a day- assuming they are getting enough to eat.3 weeks is just a little young for the scenario djs.mom is describing, which happens for some babies anytime after about 6 weeks. Could it happen before then? Sure, this is not an exact science. However I think with a baby this young, I would suggest look at other factors to be sure baby is getting enough breastmilk. Most importantly, is baby gaining weight normally? How many times in 24 hours is baby nursing? Typical would be 10-12 times a day or more. Is baby peeing lots?

Is your baby getting vitamin drops? Iron? Anything else aside breastmilk?

Orangey color and not seedy are probably normal variations, and gas is also normal. Burping a baby helps with upper GI air that might get trapped and cause a pain. If a baby needs help with burping for this they will usually let you know by displaying discomfort, sometimes a while after nursing. Holding baby in a somewhat upright position for a while after nursing may help if baby is having trouble burping on their own. Lower GI gas is mostly simply caused by digestion. Burping a breastfeed baby after every nursing session is typically not needed, and is a practice that tends to interfere with normal nursing pattern of baby nursing to sleep and in their sleep.

Thank you guys for your replies. It puts my mind at ease. I'm wondering if something I ate is causing this. I've been having tummy trouble since I gave birth but even more so for the past couple days. Could that be related to my baby suddenly not pooping?

I do not think anything you ate is likely to be related to baby not pooping. However, if you are ill and not appropriately hydrated, that could lead to low milk production and again, baby not getting enough milk would be a possible reason a baby is not pooping with normal frequency at this age. Also of course if you are ill, baby may be ill as well (just because you are always together not because of breastfeeding) but I do not know what illness would cause constipation.