Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How many oz?

Default How many oz?

I read somewhere that as babies grow they do not need to drink more oz of milk like a formula fed baby would. I believe the article said something along the lines of...my body will adjust the milk to baby's needs so he won't need to be drinking more to get the nutrients he needs and will always be drinking around 4 oz per feeding. Just curious if this is true or not. My son is 24 weeks and drinks anywhere between 3-5oz every 2-4 hours depending on the day when bottle fed.

Default Re: How many oz?

4 oz of what? Expressed breastmilk? 5oz is way too much. ESPECIALLY if it's every 2hours. Are you asking for a total for a 24hr period? Or are you pumping and leaving milk while you go to work and getting pressure from your DCP to leave more milk?

Way too lazy for formula

It certainly is true that babies do not need more and more each day as they grow. The primary reason is that as baby gets bigger, their gain and growth rate slows- or we would all be gigantic. In fact it slows considerably, with a 4 month old gaining and growing much more slowly than a 4 week old baby and so on.

Normal milk production is exactly in tune with what a baby needs. The typical scenario is that in the first couple days of life, baby needs a very small amount of milk (colostrum) and that is what mom makes. Production then increases rapidly for the first week or two, then increases much more gradually up until about week 4-6. At that point, assuming mom is making enough as would be typical, milk production no longer increases and in fact may begin to decrease if mom is making too much. So from about one month on, a baby does not need more to eat each day. Some days baby will want more than others, but the general overall need does not continuously increase.

Since commercial "formula" is formulated to have a similar calorie count as breastmilk, I have never understood why people say formula fed babies need more and more as they grow. Since they of course are also slowing in growth just like a breastfed baby, they shouldn't... but maybe there is some nutritional lack in formula that requires this that I am not aware of. However I think what is really happening is when bottle feeding, the tendency is to feed larger and larger amounts at a time, while no longer feeding baby with what would be normal frequency...in other words, baby gets more at once, but much less often...not that the baby actually needs more overall.

As DJ says, 4 ounces at a time is a little much if baby is eating with normal frequency. How much your baby needs total when you are not with baby depends on how long baby is separated from you and how often baby nurses when with you. Overall most kids need about 25-35 ounces total over 24 hours. (And yes some babies need more or less than others and it is not about size.) So based on that average, the "rule of thumb" for bottles during separations is that baby is given 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour of separation. For example, with an 8 hour separation, typical intake would be 8-12 ounces total, and that can be given in increments of 2-3 ounces at a time when baby wants it. But this assumes baby is nursing with normal frequency the rest of the day/night when with mom including at least some overnight. Also of course this all assumes baby is healthy and gaining normally.

Bottles can be given using paced bottle feeding technique to slow down and normalize the size of feedings.

No definitely not 4oz every 2 hours lol that would be crazy. We are still feeding him on demand so if he feeds at 2 hours he may drink 3 but if he goes longer then he will drink more. As always thanks for the information! I don't know what I would do without this forum and my local ibclc!!

I am just trying to figure out if you are feeding while together and pumping while at work? Or if you are exclusively pumping?

Way too lazy for formula