Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: As baby gets older

Default As baby gets older

I have a question for all the other mothers out there, my daughter is 4 mon. I am trying to increase my milk supply so I can give her 6oz bottles. I am having trouble getting my supply up. I take 2 fenugreeks a day and also drink I or two cups of the mothers milk tea. I feel like I'm struggling. I do not want to give up or give her formula. She is doing so well. I pump 3 times at work and I have started pumping once when I get home. I don't know what else I can do. I don't know weather my body is telling me she is ready for solids, cause lately she has been watching us eat and seem like she is intrested in food. A couple of times she has even tried to grab it. Please help I don't know what else I can do. When I pump I get 2 to 3 oz out of each side and that just not enough to give the babysitter, I need six 5 oz bottles for the day. I thought the older the baby gets the more mile my body would supply naturally. I want to nurse her for at least a year.

Default Re: As baby gets older

Quote Originally Posted by lissa0320 View Post
    I need six 5 oz bottles for the day.
    Curious - this seems like alot of milk (30 oz)? I've read that baby needs 1 to 1.5 oz for every hour away from mom. For example - my baby is in day care for 8 hours so I'm assuming should be eating 8 to 12 oz during that period. At 4.5 mo and weighing 12 lbs he is taking 2 bottles of 5 to 6 oz each at day care. Thanks.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I agree! That seems like as alot of milk! My son who is a huge moose never needed more than a 5oz in a bottle and two 5oz bottle would be plenty for being gone for 8hours. My son weighed 17lbs when he was 4months old. The idea that your DCP needs that much milk....suggests that she feeding her every time she cries rather than interact with her. Which I would personally consider to be a problem. She needs to be picked up, held and interacted with. I would say the outside most you'd need for a an 8-10 hours day would be 12-16oz. 30oz just while you are way seems way off base.
    2-3 oz on each side 3x a day seems like your doing a GREAT JOB pumping! Question the need for that much milk.

Way too lazy for formula

I just wanted to add this link:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

I also had the same problem with my dcp when my ds was younger. I tried and tried to explain to them that ds was eating a minimum of 8 times a day, so he just didn't need an 8 ounce bottle at every feeding. It was hard for them to get it though because the other babies there were all fed af.

So am I just being a worry wort. My oldest child was fed with forumla. So this is all new to me. So the 5 oz is more than enough. I just remember that my son was drinking 6 to 8 oz of forulma. I guess cause the breast milk has higher fat and calories in it they don't need as much. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by lissa0320 View Post
    So the 5 oz is more than enough. I just remember that my son was drinking 6 to 8 oz of forulma. I guess cause the breast milk has higher fat and calories in it they don't need as much. Thanks for the info.
    The other thing is that bf babies tend to eat a bit more often.

Glad we can help you have one less thing to worry about! Breast milk is also digested better so there's less extra "waste". Hopefully your day care / baby sitters are feeding your LO what she wants to eat and not obsessing about needing to finish the bottle or total ounces? When I started at day care, I had to do a little education with them that they should NOT force my DS to finish a bottle and we've now got a good situation.

On your other question about food - my 4.5 mo old is also very interested in watching us eat and grabbing at my food ... but he's also interested in grabbing at EVERYTHING right now and putting it in his mouth! If it's a problem while I'm trying to eat I offer my DS another toy or something for him to play with and stuff in his mouth.

Here's a link to info about starting solids:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

From the American Academy of Pediatrics:
    "Exclusive breastfeeding is ideal nutrition and sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months after birth."
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I didn't read the other replies so sorry if I am repeating anything. The most my DD ever took was 3- 5 oz bottles/sippy in a 10 hour period. 6-6 oz bottles seems like an aweful lot. As they get older they do start solids so the demand for BM doesn't keep just increasing and increasing so you should have to really send so much milk, KWIM? pumping enough is hard to start with, if your LO is getting fed that frequently you may be able to back off on the number of OZ in each feed, KWIM?
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

My bigger twins was 16 lbs at 4 months and he usually ate 4-5oz. from a bottle. I didn't work but if I went out that's what he usually would take. My little guy usually only ate aroung 3-4oz.