Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Health issues may require weaning - very disheartened

Default Health issues may require weaning - very disheartened

I am having some health issues that may require me to start the weaning process. I have systemic candida and heavy metal toxicity, which has resulted in severe thyroid issues and other symptoms. It might not sound bad, but the symptoms are debilitating. My daughter is 17 months old. I cannot treat these issues as long as she is breastfeeding, and I have put off the treatment now for about 10 months. I'm afraid that my health is going to suffer permanently if I put off treatment much longer. I always told myself that I would breastfeed until my daughter self-weaned, but now that does not seem to be an option. I am having a very hard time emotionally. Can anyone give some gentle weaning tips for me? I won't be able to do it if it is traumatic. Her nursing schedule is as follows:

6:00 am wake up and nurse
    10:00 am bottle of breast milk (work days) or nurse on off days
    2:00 pm bottle of breast milk (work days) or nurse on off days
    6:00 pm nurse
    9:00 pm nurse and bed

Sometimes she also asks to nurse at other random times.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Health issues may require weaning - very disheartened

Well the good news is that if your baby is already not nursing much overnight, that will help, as the typical gentle weaning tips are much easier to implement when you are awake.

Also your child is nursing with a fairly low frequency already- meaning, the weaning process that began when baby started eating solids is already well on its way. So maybe it will help you to think of this as not making your child wean but rather, as speeding up the process that is already happening.

LLL has long suggested that, when possible, weaning goes best when it is allowed to occur gradually. This is deliberately vague, because how gradual is gradual? It depends on the situation. It sounds like you would like the weaning process to be over fairly soon, but you are also not contemplating needing to abruptly wean in just a few days...do I have that right?

Anyway, there are two excellent books on weaning I would recommend. The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning and How Weaning Happens. They will be able to give you may ideas and also specific information about what is happening both for mom and child during the weaning process. You do not need both, one is fine.

If you just want some quick suggestions, the typical and most recommended weaning strategies can be summed up like this: Don't offer, don't refuse. Avoid: (situations or position that cause child to want to nurse or expect to nurse.) Distract: say "Let's do..." (anything aside nursing your child might want to do or usually enjoys doing.") . Substitute: (would you like some water? How about a snack?) Delay: "You can nurse after...." whatever. Shorten: "You can nurse for the time it takes to count to 10 or 20. You choose." Or "the time for me to sing Twinkle Twinkle or Ba Ba black sheep. You choose."

I am not familiar with the health issues you are having or what the treatment would be. Sorry if you have already done this, but since so many moms are told to wean unnecessarily due to needed medical treatment I just like to make sure... Most medications can be taken or treatments done while a child continues to nurse. If you want more info on that, I would suggest call the folks at infant risk (open weekdays only) http://www.infantrisk.com/ or talk to a lactation consultant.