Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing 4 YO but need more lactation due to donating to mom

Default Nursing 4 YO but need more lactation due to donating to mom

Hi,

I am the mom of a 3 year old that still nurses. We nurse when she wants to cuddle or have milky or naps and night time. I pump from time to time at work when I start to feel pressure. I have been asked by a mom that is due soon if I might be willing to donate. I have donated in the past when my LO was young and she knew this. I'd like to help her out however I just get very little when I pump.

I am looking for recomendations to increase that or increase the lactation since my LO is probably not taking as much as she used to.

I drink water only, no caffieen, eat healthy anything is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Nursing 4 YO but need more lactation due to donating to

I think that if you're going to see any significant increase you'll need to really up your pumping frequency. More milk removal = more milk made, basically. A lot of moms have better success pumping with a higher end hospital grade pump, which can be available to rent. How much milk are you looking to donate? Ie, are you going to be her sole source of milk? If so, you'd have to really do the every 2 hours pumping thing I would think, in order to get that much. You can also try some herbal galactagogues, like Fenugreek and Goat's rue, though I don't have any personal experience with them. Oatmeal as well is supposed to be good for boosting supply. But really, I think the frequency of removal is what's going to make a difference.

Just curious - does your friend have a history of low supply? I just wonder why she's looking for a donor ahead of time - if she's had issues in the past that she'd like help with, please let her know we're here to help

Hi kellena, I agree with carm3, you would have to up your milk production by, first and foremost, increasing how often you pump - possibly by quite a lot. And that would probably mean pumping more often at work unless you work part time. Of course you want to help this mom, but at this point, assuming you even can, do you want to increase your milk production to the extent needed? You might want to think about how this would impact you- your work, your time, your fertility etc.

I also wonder why the mom needs donor milk and how much she needs. If is a lot, she may want to line up several donors.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 26th, 2017 at 06:37 PM.

She's looking for all sources. She was told by OB and Plastic Surgeon she would not be able to breast feed. She's prepairing now.

So if I pump every 2 hours I'll get my supply back to newborn ish? Herbs did not work for me when I first started. I've never gotten alot maybe 2 oz per brest is the most in a pump.

I do work part time so it won't kill me. It'l lkill me waking up every 2 hours luckily I have freemie cups so at least it's hands free

So I am assuming she had breast surgery. Obviously in some cases such surgeries mean the removal of all breast tissue and in that case, she could not possibly lactate. But in cases where any breast tissue is remaining, she might. She may have very little milk and still need donor milk of course, but since breastfeeding appears important to her she might want to talk to an IBCLC about how to maximize any potential lactation, should that be possible in her case.

Also she may want to know about lactation aids and how those can be used by mothers to nurse a child at the breast, even if they make no milk at all. Obviously these are not for everyone, but many moms are happy to be able to nurse baby at the breast even when they cannot provide their own milk. Of course this is a sensitive subject, and I do not know how close you are to this mom, you can judge for yourself if you want to suggest these ideas.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 29th, 2017 at 10:49 AM.