Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply with a toddler nearly age 2

Default Supply with a toddler nearly age 2

I recently tried moving from co-sleeping to sleep training my 23 month old to his own crib so we could get some better rest. I only did 3 nights, but coupled with trying to cut down during the day, I'm concerned it's affected my supply, since he definitely regularly nursed once or twice a night.

I was considering weaning along with the sleep training, but he's exhibiting occasional erratic behavior (usually he's pretty relaxed and a pretty good communicator for his age). Part of me worries about his gut health, etc. I of course recognize that too much change, too fast, could also result in some different behavior.

I saw a post from 2013 on here that said a mom experienced this same erratic behavior with her 3 year old who she had stopped nursing. She said her daughter had these loopy moments where she was a bit clumsy and didnt make as much sense, and likened it to seeming drunk. That's pretty much what I noticed a few times. Most of the time he's normal, but when he's in one of those episodes, he's totally weird. That woman had her daughter checked out and she was totally fine, but I'm looking for a little reassurance.

Has anyone else experienced similar?

Also, is it even possible to boost my supply at this point in our nursing relationship, should I want to go on a little longer?

Should I be worried about his gut health at weaning?

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Supply with a toddler nearly age 2

Hi. I am not sure what would be considered loopy behavior in a toddler that is out of the ordinary. They can act pretty loopy in general. Drunk is also a subjective description, again it would depend what exactly is happening. Kids this age are beginning to assert their own emerging personalities and so silliness, being vocally loud, racing around, spinning, banging things, and of course refusing to comply with parental requests, tantrums, etc etc are all pretty par for the course.

However anything overt that the child seems not in any control of in particular could possibly (although of course very rarely) mean something very serious- head injury or severe illness or lead poisoning or something. In other words my first thought would not be gut health - if I thought my child's behavior was truly erratic and bizarre, I would have them seen by a doctor asap.

Also, is it even possible to boost my supply at this point in our nursing relationship, should I want to go on a little longer?
    You certainly could most likely boost your production if you want. The best way to do that is increase the frequency of milk removal, make sure you are well hydrated, and possibly consider taking herbal galactagogues.

Should I be worried about his gut health at weaning?
    based on what is known at this point, I doubt at this age weaning is going to have any measurable impact on gut health. Where gut health has been shown to be impacted by weaning is when the child lives in a place where severe diarrhea illness is common and commonly is life threatening in young children.

But of course, it is not like gut health and breastfeeding beyond those obvious, easily identified concerns has been effectively studied, and in particular beyond two years there have not been studies. So really we just do not know. On the other hand, there are many other reasons to continue to nurse if your child and you wish too. Of course, many children wean prior to two years and are entirely fine.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 18th, 2017 at 11:13 AM.

hi, thanks maddieb.
    The reason I'm speaking about gut health is that there is so much info now on how vaginal delivery and nursing benefit the gut by populating it with good bacteria. Sadly for us, my delivery was via csection, thanks to precclampsia and poor advice from the doctor on call. For a long time Ive lived with the thought that his dairy intolerance before age 1 and his cashew allergy were both caused by not having a good microbiome set up. I've mostly let this go, but it really added to some PPD I had after delivery.

There is no injury or poison involved in this case, because that would be a situation where things wouldnt go from normal, to odd, then back to normal again. He was mostly himself,but had these episodes of being sort of like slap happy, and saying things that didnt make sense, acting scattered, when usually he makes sense and is pretty steady. It could just be new toddler behavior, or it could also be from the sleep training, but I wasnt sure.

I have read that a bad balance of bacteria is also suggested as a cause (or at least being studied) for lots of behavioral/brain issues. Anyway, that being said, I have a history of overthinking these things, and this is no doubt due to my delivery trauma. I was mostly just wondering if anyone else has encountered bizarre behavior at weaning (with the benefits of breastmilk's pro and prebiotics gone) and if anyone has thoughts about probiotics, etc. for gut health post nursing.

Ok got it. All my kids were born via cesarean so I know how distressing that can be, especially when you think it could have been avoided. And yes I know the science regarding baby not being colonized appropriately as a result. But also, while I do not know the statistics, I do know that plenty of kids born vaginally have allergies and many born via cesarean do not.

If you want, maybe you can be more specific about what your child is doing that is worrying you? That might help us (or me, not sure who else is around these days) make a guess if there is something unusual going on? An almost two year old who is usually steady and other times silly sounds entirely normal to me.

I know people blame all kinds of things on not ideal microbiome. And they will actually go back generations even. So basically if you yourself were not breastfed, you can never have an ideal microbome and neither can your kids! it would make anyone nutty if you delve into this stuff too much. I am not going to question the science as frankly it is not my area. I do think it is not healthy to obsess over things you cannot control, and to a large extent, your child's microbiome health is something a person cannot entirely control. I mean, say there was incontrovertible proof that nursing your son for another year would improve his microbiome. Would you do it if other wise you had no interest in nursing your child that long? And would that situation even be good for both of you?

Also I guess I missed that you are sleep training. To me, if that situation correlated with behavior changes that concerned me, that is the thing I would stop doing. Because (depending on what you are doing exactly and how your child is reacting) sleep training can be stressful in a variety of ways to a child as well as the parent, and I suppose that stress might cause behavior changes. And yes if weaning is going too quickly or happening too early, it also might cause behavioral changes this has been reported in breastfeeding literature for some time. But in my experience the behavior concerns that might result would be emotional issues- clinginess, sadness, anger, moodiness, tantrums, attention demanding, that kind of thing.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 18th, 2017 at 06:20 PM.