Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carsonsmama View Post
Hi all,

Wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on why my 4 month old is suddenly waking multiple times a night (like every 1 to 1.5 hrs) to bf. He just turned 4 months a couple days ago and up until now he was only waking twice to eat at night. He is also suddenly refusing his pacifier, which he only used for naps/nighttime anyway. His naps have not really changed at all--still taking one morning nap (1.5 - 2.5 hrs), one mid day nap (1 - 1.5 hr) and one catnap in the early evening (45 mins or so). He naps either in his swing, while being held, or occasionally in his cosleeper. I have tried adding a couple more feedings throughout the day, and cluster feeding in the evenings to try to "tank him up," before bed but the most he has slept this week without waking to eat has been about 3 hours. We bedshare, so his wakings usually consist of him rooting against me and fussing until i latch him on. I have tried other ways of soothing him (shooshing, rocking, bouncing, etc.) but those just result in him screaming and me eventually just nursing him to calm him down. I don't mind nursing to sleep or even some comfort nursing, but this constant waking throughout the night is exhausting. I guess I'm just looking for some advice on whether this is a normal stage he is going through that will eventually end, or whether I can expect that this will last indefinitely until he is weaned (no plans for weaning until he is ready). I intended to keep bedsharing, but I'm wondering if his proximity to my breasts is what is causing this frequent waking. We have an Arm's Reach cosleeper that I sometimes put him down in if he goes down before I'm ready to go to bed. I wonder if he would wake less often if I was more consistently putting him down in this? I'm a first time mama so any advice on this would be helpful. I asked his pediatrician and she strongly advised against bedsharing and seemed to be more in favor of the cry-it-out types of sleep training, which I am unwilling to attempt. Any suggestions, advice, or even just words of encouragement would be great! Thanks so much!
Hello!
I'm wondering what ever ended up happening with this phase? How long did it last or did you do anything to cause it to stop? Your words are EXACTLY what I'm going thru with her at 4 1/2 months now and trying to figure it out. Thank you!