Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Traveling with breast milk

Default Traveling with breast milk

My baby is 7 weeks old today and we're getting brave enough to leave the house for longer stretches of time! I've started pumping since nursing wasn't working well for us. When you run errands, how do you carry your breast milk? Do you have any special way to warm it up? I've been lucky so far to not have baby get hungry while we are running errands and know that I can always nurse to tide him over until we can get back home so I don't carry any bottles or milk with me now. Any advice y'all have would be great!

Default Re: Traveling with breast milk

Hi, if your baby will nurse during outings then that is probably the easiest and best solution. If the outing is so long your baby needs to eat, then you would probably want to pump during it as well, and while moms of course can pump while out and about, it can be much more inconvenient to do that than to nurse. When baby is older and your milk production firmly established you might be able to get away with longer stretches between pumping but you would always want to be careful to not get too full while you are out for your own health and for the health of your milk production.

For bottles: I would suggest there is not really any need to warm unfrozen breastmilk that has been in a cool pack, unless baby objects to it being cold. You could place the bottle or bag against your body as the easiest method of warming if needed. For taking it along, you need an insulated lunch or bottle bag with cold packs in it.

If you would like suggestions to help make breastfeeding more workable for you please let us know. EPing is possible and some moms prefer it, but overall it is more difficult than breastfeeding and it is harder to maintain milk production. The first few weeks of breastfeeding are usually hard, then it gets easier and easier.

Breast milk storage: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...toringmilk.pdf

Tips for bottle feeding the breastfed baby and safe milk handling (2 page doc) : http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...fyour_milk.pdf