Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding or weaning after miscarriage?

Default Breastfeeding or weaning after miscarriage?

Hello again everyone!

Sadly I have just miscarried at 8 weeks. I'm peaceful about what happened and trust my body did the right thing.

I'm still nursing my 2yo. My supply went down quite a lot. Nursing had become slightly less satisfying with him often asking for more, switching sides frequently and not falling asleep nursing for his nap anymore. Still very positive relationship tho.

I had a d&c yesterday, and haven't fed him for about 30h. I'm only slightly engorged. He was upset he couldn't nurse, but not devastated.

I feel like I'm partly weaning him. I'm not sure whether to continue down this road, taper it off etc. or whether to carry on nursing, would my supply come back up after this miscarriage?

I know it's up to me, but I feel ambivalent. I guess I feel like I've got an opportunity to get it done. I'd also like to have another baby and believe the nursing was making my luteal phase a bit short 9/10 days.

Does anyone have a similar experience they could share? Or any tips to make weaning him easier for him?

Just occurred to me this might be better in weaning section? Feel free to move!

Thanks again everyone xx

Default Re: Breastfeeding or weaning after miscarriage?

Hi newatthis. I am so sorry for your loss.
    As you say, only you can know whether weaning at this point is best for you and your child or not. I have nursed after miscarriage and personally found it helpful for me emotionally, but that is by no means necessarily universal. Also, you could certainly move the weaning process along but continue to nurse for a while.
    would my supply come back up after this miscarriage?
    There is no general reason it wouldn't.
    I know it's up to me, but I feel ambivalent.
    Many moms feel ambivalent as they progress on the weaning process...this is normal and another good reason to take weaning slowly, and also a good reason to ignore those who say that once you start weaning, you have to continue on some kind of pre-arranged path. This is not true, I have found as a parent that many times what seemed like a good idea needs to be adjusted, reduced or just plain tossed when it turns out to not be working when put into practice. If for any reason you feel weaning is going too quickly for either yourself or your child, you can always hold back on the weaning encouragement and even encourage more nursing. No matter how you approach weaning, your child will eventually wean.

If you are having difficulty with the length of your luteal phase, you might ask doctor to test your level of prolactin. According to The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, prolactin levels can be raised by breastfeeding but also other things. Progesterone supplements might correct short luteal phase.

Here is a recent post I made in the weaning section with suggestions on weaning:

Hi, and welcome. LLL has long suggested that, when possible, weaning goes best when it is allowed to occur gradually.

There are two excellent books on weaning I would recommend. The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning and How Weaning Happens. They will be able to give you may ideas and also specific information about what is happening both for mom and child during the weaning process.

If you just want some quick suggestions, the typical and most recommended weaning strategies can be summed up like this: Don't offer, don't refuse. Avoid: (situations or position that cause child to want to nurse or expect to nurse.) Distract: say "Let's do..." (anything aside nursing your child might want to do or usually enjoys doing.") . Substitute: (would you like some water? How about a snack?) Delay: "You can nurse after...." whatever. Shorten: "You can nurse for the time it takes to count to 10 or 20. You choose." Or "the time for me to sing Twinkle Twinkle or Ba Ba black sheep. You choose."

I just realized I forgot one, which is setting a nursing schedule- setting up certain times of the day when child can expect to nurse without being held off or limited in any way. Many moms choose wake up, nap and bedtime and hold child to that schedule, reinforcing it repeatedly by talking about "this is when we nurse." It may be hard for a two year old to get with that program but it is another gentle weaning idea.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 4th, 2017 at 11:22 AM.

Default Re: Breastfeeding or weaning after miscarriage?

Thankyou. It's very hard to describe but I feel it's the time to start cutting down. We've dropped the morning nurse. We are still nursing at nap time and before bed, although not to sleep. I'm sure my supply is coming back up even though we've cut down, so these are much more satisfying sessions!