Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need support PLEASE

Exclamation I need support PLEASE

This is my first post but I’ve been around for a few days. This forum has given me hope. I am a new mom.

My baby was born on April 6, he is seven weeks old now. I had a C-section.
    I didn’t even know that flat nipples were a thing. And the nurses gave LO formula (bottle) when he was born (2:50pm).
    He did not latch.

The nurse tried by pulling out my nipples with a syringe but didn’t work. My sister and I keep trying until she got frustrated around 7:00 pm and said we better give him a bottle. I told her no but she asked me if I would let my child starve instead. We asked the nurses and doctors for help before but all they did was forcedly push my baby’s head into my breast. They don’t have a LC (I don’t even think they know what a LC is) even though the hospital has a “breastfeeding only” law.
    I had engorgement and meanwhile and my baby formed an aversion to the breast. He could not even SEE my breast. He would scream and pull his head back with so much force for such a small baby (5 lb and 15 oz).

I tried a nipple shield that one cousin gave to me but It would come off and the milk leak all over me and the baby. Also he had a tendency to pull out the nipple shield.

I tried letting him go hungry and not give him the bottle no matter what because it worked for a friend. After 5 hours my sister took the baby from me and gave him formula.

Each day I would keep trying with no results (without starving him just putting him on the breast). One morning at 4 weeks he got fever and was hospitalized in UCIN for four days and I could not pump in the hospital because every time I tried to use a bathroom someone would knock in less than one min.

Before, I could replace three or four bottles of formula with breast milk. But after coming home my supply lowered and my baby demanded more. I heard of EP in these days. But it was already too late. I tried pump more often but hardly did it two or three times in the whole day. I have a Bulb-style breast pump. I know it is the worse but can’t afford anything else. Even a manual pump is too expensive to me. I tried to power pump with the bulb pump and only got to pump 5 times in a day. My hand hurt too much. I am doing hand expressing but still don’t get the hang of it. Also it’s a lot messier. I only get half an ounce anyway.

Recently I bought a medela nipple shield because I read here that these are the best. The first time I tried it the baby didn’t even let it in his mouth and screamed his lungs out. I cried so much that night. I did everything I could t to buy that nipple shield.

The next day he latched on with the nipple shield and has kept doing it every day. He still fights it but latch. Not well since it hurts. I don’t want to try a good latch because I am afraid the aversion will come back if I push too hard.
    Two times he latched on without the shields. I was using the shield and after half an hour it fell off and my nipple stood erect and large so he latched on. It didn’t hurt at all and omg I’ve never been happier. I‘ve been offering him the breast every two hours, but today he haven’t wanted it.

My aunt gave me a medela manual pump as a gift. It should arrive tomorrow in the evening. I plan on pump after every nursing (hoping he accepts the NS) and power pump at 3 or 4 am to increase my supply. I am not sure it will work since everyone here says only a double electric pump would do the job but I’ve got no way to get one of these. Hospitals don’t rent breast pumps here either.

The pediatricians told me to not stop using formula just keep offering him the breast as much as I can between feeds and our next appointment is in two months.

There isn’t any LC in my city or in a near city. I feel so overwhelming with everything. Sometimes I get so angry at my baby I can’t even look at him and that only makes me feel so much worse later. I love my LO SO much and just want to give him breastmilk because it is said to be the best. Also I can’t help to feel detached from him. For the first weeks it was like I wasn’t his mother. I wish I could EP at least.

Sorry for the long post. I tried to edit out as much as I could (TT^TT).

Default Re: I need support PLEASE

Hi thiagave.mum I am so sorry you are having so much difficulty.

If you like, you can PM me your location (city or general area, and country) Are you certain there is no lactation services or clinics anywhere near you? How have you found this out?

It sounds like buying even pretty inexpensive things like nipple shields and manual pumps is difficult. Are you on any type of public assistance, and/or, do you have health insurance? Again, you can PM me with this info. There may be more help for you than you think.

I am not sure it will work since everyone here says only a double electric pump would do the job but I’ve got no way to get one of these. Hospitals don’t rent breast pumps here either.
    I am afraid it would be very difficult to EP without a high quality double sided electric pump. While some moms respond quite well to manual pumps and also to hand expression. But in order to feed a non-nursing baby exclusively with her milk, most moms would have to express milk at least 8 times in 24 hours for at least 15-30 minutes per side each time. So, it would just be very hard to do this without an electric pump that you can pump both sides at once with.

But, your plan to pump (and don't forget you can also try hand expression) after baby nurses and at a few other times a day in order to increase milk production makes good sense, even if all you have is a manual.

If I am understanding correctly, baby is currently able to latch and nurse with a shield, even though it is a little difficult. Do I have that right? But nursing hurts you? While there have been setbacks, It sounds like you have made some progress in this area, overall. Right? So this is something to build on.

Rather than making a point to offer to nurse every such and such hours, can you hold baby snuggled on your chest, skin to skin, most of the time? This is a good way to gently encourage a baby to nurse, plus skin to skin contact is helpful for so many other things, including bonding. If you are not comfortable totally skin to skin, you can be lightly dressed, but still keep baby on your chest with "easy access" to your breasts. When baby shows signs of wanting to nurse, have your nipple shield near so you can put it on. Make sure you are putting it on correctly, I will attach an article.
    If baby is refusing to latch dribbling a little expressed milk or formula on the nipple can help. If you are wearing a shield, put it on the shield. I will attach another article about getting a baby to nurse.

The pediatricians told me to not stop using formula just keep offering him the breast as much as I can between feeds and our next appointment is in two months.
    Ok, you need to have an appointment before 2 months, at least to weigh baby. You need to see if you can wean baby off the formula and onto the breast, and that means you need to see if baby is gaining ok as you try to do this. I think weight checks of every 2 weeks or so make more sense. Also, if your pediatrician is wanting you to continue to formula feed, that suggests they are concerned about baby's gain. So don't they want to see if baby is gaining ok sooner than 2 months from now? it does not make sense.
    If there is another reliable way to weigh your baby you can do that. But you want to start those weight checks now. It is important that all weight checks be done on the SAME scale, it should be an electronic, digital infant scale, and baby should be naked. Every time.

The pediatricians told me to not stop using formula just keep offering him the breast as much as I can
    Of course it is important that your baby get enough to eat. And I would not recommend getting baby very hungry as a strategy for getting baby to nurse. A baby who is not latching, the problem is usually that they actually are having physical difficulty latching. Hunger makes a baby more frantic and less able to latch in this case.
    But if a baby is being over supplemented- getting more than they need in supplements of your milk or formula, then baby is likely not going to have much interest in nursing. So, it is important to be careful about how formula is given and how much.

Sometimes I get so angry at my baby I can’t even look at him and that only makes me feel so much worse later. I love my LO SO much and just want to give him breastmilk because it is said to be the best. Also I can’t help to feel detached from him. For the first weeks it was like I wasn’t his mother. I wish I could EP at least.
    many moms do not feel bonded to their babies right away. Even when they are nursing and nursing is going fine. You are exhausted and frustrated and obviously will have negative feelings brought on by that. That is normal.
    But if you think these feelings are over whelming you or are unusually intense, I would strongly suggest talk to your doctor about post partum depression or anxiety. These are fairly common. I personally had post partum anxiety and it was awful. If you want to continue to breastfeed, know that if they wish moms can continue to nurse their baby while being treated for post partum mood issues, even if mom needs medication. '

just want to give him breastmilk because it is said to be the best.
    Continuing to try to nurse your baby is only important and worthwhile if it is something YOU want. Your success as a mother has nothing to do with how or what you feed your baby. Your baby needs YOU. You are his world whether you nurse baby or not. Obviously we who post here think breastfeeding is important, but it is NOT the most important thing. The most important thing is you being able to confidently mother your baby.

baby back to breast: http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/nb-...ack-to-breast/

nipple shields: http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/nb-...s/wean-shield/

weaning off formula http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/nb-...rease-formula/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; May 30th, 2017 at 05:57 PM.