Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thrush - about to give up

Default Re: Thrush - about to give up

Did you get the OTC 1% clotrimazole cream? Or was this something stronger that your doctor called in? Also, did you have to wipe it off before nursing your baby?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lslinkard View Post
    Did you get the OTC 1% clotrimazole cream? Or was this something stronger that your doctor called in? Also, did you have to wipe it off before nursing your baby?
    Is there any way you can get your doctor to write you a script for APNO using miconazole? It generally seems to be better than the clotrimazole, and you shouldn't need to wipe that off before nursing. Have you tried gentian violet at all?

Hey I just went through this.My daughter and I probably had it immediately after I had her via c-section. Shes 12 weeks now and we just finally kicked it. I think. We did basic ally what you did. What worked for me was grapefruit seed extract. It has to have citricidal as the main ingredient. You can get it on Amazon in tablet form and drop form. I took two tablets 3 times a day. As well as 20 billion units of acidophilus 3 times a day. I wiped my nipples with a solution of 10 drops grapefruit seed extract liquid in an ounce of water. I also wiped this solution on baby's tongue with a qtip and she is on gerber soothe probiotic drops.

Wash everything with vinegar added and hot water. Use a new towel daily. Cut out sugar and dairy as much as possible.

Finally. I'm not sure if you said but the Diflucan course should be at least 10 days, either 125 or 150 mg daily. My doc screwed up and only gave me a 5 day course. I felt better but then it came back...this was before discovering the grapefruit see extract.

I totally feel you mama. It sucks so bad.

Thanks mebechelle. I actually tried GSE very early on and it seemed to make things worse instead of better - my nipples felt terrible and it had no effect on the baby.

The latest for us is that the gentian violet cleared the thrush from my baby's mouth but didn't work on me at all, so I ended up reinfecting him after a week or so despite being on Diflucan. I'm down to my last Diflucan pill and my doctor wouldn't prescribe any more, as it's been 10 weeks of it now. I'm starting to feel despondent - I don't know what's wrong with me that I can't shake this infection, and I'm terrified of the pain that will be coming after the Diflucan runs out. The thought of weaning my son at this point breaks my heart, but I seem to have no hope of ridding myself of thrush. I'm in tears as I'm writing this, I'm so, so sad. When the pain has been less, breastfeeding him has been such a pleasure. Especially now, he's almost 3 months old and the way he interacts with me - I can't stand the thought of losing out on it. I feel so robbed.

I'm sorry to whine, I just feel like if anyone will understand my sadness about this it'll be women on this forum. We just moved to a new state this week and don't yet have a pediatrician or ob-gyn lined up, so I truly feel I have nowhere to turn.

Hi snackycake. I am so very sorry you are having this issue especially on top of on interstate move with a baby! How stressful!

But maybe the move will be a blessing in disguise and you will find better help where you are now? Anyway, sending you

Can I suggest that you email Dr. Newman? He's very good about getting back to you quickly, and he might be able to make some suggestions that are worth trying. No matter what happens, know that you have worked really hard to make this work and that counts for a lot!

Just checking in with an update. I went to see a family physician shortly after moving in the hopes that both the baby and I could be treated at once, but since his medical records haven't arrived yet there was nothing she could do for him. In any event she didn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable about thrush, so she just checked her reference materials and prescribed me more Diflucan and sent me on my way, which I suppose bought me another 14 days of breastfeeding to figure this out (7 left now . . .). I have an appointment with an IBCLC on Friday who works out of a nearby center specializing in women's health. Maybe she can help me sort this out. I'm wondering if what I thought was returning thrush on the baby is actually just milk tongue - it's just toward the back, not on the whole tongue anymore, and it doesn't seem to be responding to Gentian Violet but also doesn't appear to be spreading. Maybe we had thrush before but got rid of it and now I just have some other nipple issue? Who knows?

I just want it resolved, I feel like I spend half my time sterilizing things and swabbing my nipples and the baby's mouth and trying to keep our linens from getting purple stains and shopping for probiotics and on and on and on . . . I'm on maternity leave but as I mentioned, I've just moved and have plenty of other things I need to be doing rather than fighting a never-ending (and losing!) battle with yeast.

Thank you all for your encouragement, at any rate. Please keep me in your thoughts.

mama, I wish I could make it all better for you. You've worked so hard! Did you ever try emailing Dr. Newman? Is your pain completely gone when you're on the diflucan? IIRC, you said you didn't have vasospasms, but I'm wondering if maybe you're having them without the blanching. I know you're probably so sick of trying new things, but it might be worth it to try the protocol for vasospasms (Magnesium and vitamin B6 and lots of dry heat to your nipples) to see if that's part of the problem. That's what really made the big difference for me, in addition to the diflucan. Like you said, it's possible that this isn't even thrush, and I'm really glad that you're going to see an IBCLC. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for you, and please keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    mama, I wish I could make it all better for you. You've worked so hard! Did you ever try emailing Dr. Newman? Is your pain completely gone when you're on the diflucan? IIRC, you said you didn't have vasospasms, but I'm wondering if maybe you're having them without the blanching. I know you're probably so sick of trying new things, but it might be worth it to try the protocol for vasospasms (Magnesium and vitamin B6 and lots of dry heat to your nipples) to see if that's part of the problem. That's what really made the big difference for me, in addition to the diflucan. Like you said, it's possible that this isn't even thrush, and I'm really glad that you're going to see an IBCLC. I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed for you, and please keep us posted!
    Thanks so much, carm. I haven't emailed Dr. Newman yet, that will likely be next on my list depending on how things go with the lactation consultant. The pain isn't completely gone with Diflucan, it's just manageable. The pain is only upon latching - like little needles or a bunch of papercuts being ripped open. There's no pain during feeding, more an itchiness/sensitivity that's only painful if the baby yanks or slides down the nipple to a shallower latch or something like that. There's no deep breast pain/shooting pain (which I had for a day or so before starting Diflucan), and no pain at all when feeding is over. Just very sensitive nipples (i.e. very unpleasant when things brush lightly against them) with an uncharacteristic red/pink color in the creases.

You know, as I write that all out, it doesn't sound so much like thrush to me anymore. If it weren't for the baby's white tongue that initially cleared up with Gentian Violet I'd suspect it wasn't thrush after all, but with that additional data point I just can't make heads or tails of things. Given that, I'm wary of trying the vasospasm protocol since adding heat would make a more inviting environment for the thrush if that's indeed what's going on. Getting a knowledgeable set of eyes on things will really be welcome.

It's so funny that you say that it doesn't sound like thrush anymore once you actually characterize it -that's pretty much exactly what happened to me at a LLL meeting. I was describing that it didn't burn all the way through the feed anymore, and the leader said 'well, that doesn't sound like thrush then' and suggested the vasospasm stuff. What about just doing the vitamins and not the heat for now then until you see the LC? I don't think they'd adversely encourage yeast growth.

I really hope you can get this figured out - it'll be so great for you to just nurse!