Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thrush - about to give up

Default Re: Thrush - about to give up

Did you get the OTC 1% clotrimazole cream? Or was this something stronger that your doctor called in? Also, did you have to wipe it off before nursing your baby?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lslinkard View Post
    Did you get the OTC 1% clotrimazole cream? Or was this something stronger that your doctor called in? Also, did you have to wipe it off before nursing your baby?
    Is there any way you can get your doctor to write you a script for APNO using miconazole? It generally seems to be better than the clotrimazole, and you shouldn't need to wipe that off before nursing. Have you tried gentian violet at all?

Hey I just went through this.My daughter and I probably had it immediately after I had her via c-section. Shes 12 weeks now and we just finally kicked it. I think. We did basic ally what you did. What worked for me was grapefruit seed extract. It has to have citricidal as the main ingredient. You can get it on Amazon in tablet form and drop form. I took two tablets 3 times a day. As well as 20 billion units of acidophilus 3 times a day. I wiped my nipples with a solution of 10 drops grapefruit seed extract liquid in an ounce of water. I also wiped this solution on baby's tongue with a qtip and she is on gerber soothe probiotic drops.

Wash everything with vinegar added and hot water. Use a new towel daily. Cut out sugar and dairy as much as possible.

Finally. I'm not sure if you said but the Diflucan course should be at least 10 days, either 125 or 150 mg daily. My doc screwed up and only gave me a 5 day course. I felt better but then it came back...this was before discovering the grapefruit see extract.

I totally feel you mama. It sucks so bad.

Thanks mebechelle. I actually tried GSE very early on and it seemed to make things worse instead of better - my nipples felt terrible and it had no effect on the baby.

The latest for us is that the gentian violet cleared the thrush from my baby's mouth but didn't work on me at all, so I ended up reinfecting him after a week or so despite being on Diflucan. I'm down to my last Diflucan pill and my doctor wouldn't prescribe any more, as it's been 10 weeks of it now. I'm starting to feel despondent - I don't know what's wrong with me that I can't shake this infection, and I'm terrified of the pain that will be coming after the Diflucan runs out. The thought of weaning my son at this point breaks my heart, but I seem to have no hope of ridding myself of thrush. I'm in tears as I'm writing this, I'm so, so sad. When the pain has been less, breastfeeding him has been such a pleasure. Especially now, he's almost 3 months old and the way he interacts with me - I can't stand the thought of losing out on it. I feel so robbed.

I'm sorry to whine, I just feel like if anyone will understand my sadness about this it'll be women on this forum. We just moved to a new state this week and don't yet have a pediatrician or ob-gyn lined up, so I truly feel I have nowhere to turn.

Hi snackycake. I am so very sorry you are having this issue especially on top of on interstate move with a baby! How stressful!

But maybe the move will be a blessing in disguise and you will find better help where you are now? Anyway, sending you

Can I suggest that you email Dr. Newman? He's very good about getting back to you quickly, and he might be able to make some suggestions that are worth trying. No matter what happens, know that you have worked really hard to make this work and that counts for a lot!