Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping help. Tingling nipples sometimes..

Default Pumping help. Tingling nipples sometimes..

I pump 3 times a day every 3 hours at work. (Mon- Fri) Im away from baby for almost 10 hours. I normally pump 3-4 oz (have gotten as much as 6 oz before) a session usually bringing home 13-16 oz.

I've been using the medela 24mm flanges that came with my pump since day 1. But now after pumping my nipples kind of tingle. I think my flanges are the wrong size but I'm not sure if I should go up a size or down a size. I think I have small nipples, maybe even flat but i have large breasts. The first time I pump of a morning the 24mm flanges seem okay but as the day goes on its Iike my breast becomes more stretchy and more gets sucked into the neck of the flange. Also I have noticed a red ring at the base of my nipple on one side (the side I would consider to have the larger nipple).

I tried the pumpin pals small and medium flanes but they don't seem to draw out all the milk. I feel like I am sitting there forever and hardly get any milk out.

I'm okay with using the regular medela flanges but just don't want to cause any damage to my nipples or breasts. And I don't think the tingling is normal. Also I always use the pump on the lowest suction.

Default Re: Pumping help. Tingling nipples sometimes..

If more than your nipple is getting pulled up into the flange, that probably indicates the flange is a little big. if the nipple is rubbing against the "tunnel" that usually means the flange is too small. Sometimes this can be corrected by being very careful about positioning your nipple when pumping and lubing the flange with olive oil or similar.

It is possible that the larger flange is fine for early in the day, and then the smaller one for later when the breasts are typically less full. Some moms also need a different size for each breast.

How possible would it be to add a pump session some or all days? maybe the problem is how long you are pumping each time. If you could pump more often, maybe you could pump the same amount of milk with shorter sessions.

I really hate to add a pump I am pumping plenty to keep up with what she is eating at daycare. I only pump for 15 minutes a session. Unless there is still mill spraying out I'll continue to pump a little longer.

Yes I doubted you would want to add another session. If in 15 minute sessions you are getting more than baby needs, maybe you could reduce the session length slightly without adding another session.

Here are a couple other thoughts.

Could you hand express instead for part of the time or for one session a day?

Another thought is, if you are pumping on the lowest setting and getting injured, maybe the issue is with the pump motor. This happens. Is your pump new or older? Can you contact the manufacturer and see if they have troubleshooting suggestions or a way to test the suction on your pump? Or can you try a different pump?

Another thought is, assuming you are double pumping, maybe try single side pumping. I am wondering if you could get your breasts aligned more comfortably with the pump flange if you pumped one at a time.