Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning transition for toddler and drying up

Default Weaning transition for toddler and drying up

It's been 9 days since the last time I nursed my 2 year old. I didn't get engorged which is great but I still have lots of milk if I hand express and I'm worried that I'm going to get a clog. I was prone to clogs while breastfeeding and had to take 7200 mg of lethicin to keep them at bay. I'm down to 3600 now. Anything I can do to help ny body dry up? Also in pregnant so I know I can't take sage.

My other question is my toddler still asked to nurse a few times a day. We weaned gradually - taking away one feeding a week and she was down to nursing only a few times / 24 hour period anyway. But it makes me so sad when she asks. How long did it take for other peoples toddlers to stop asking?

Default Re: Weaning transition for toddler and drying up

With gradual weaning and no engorgement, you may not get any plugged ducts. If you hand express often, that's signaling to your body that there's still a demand, so your breasts will keep producing milk. I'd suggest not expressing unless you start feeling uncomfortably full, and then express just enough to ease the discomfort, or if you feel like you're starting to get a clog.

Most moms can express a little bit of milk for months or even years after weaning.

You mentioned you're pregnant? How far along? Most moms see their supplies decrease or disappear at some point during the first or second trimester, so hormones might take care of the problem for you.