Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 weeks and already bad habit.

Default 2 weeks and already bad habit.

I went through hell and back with my older son with this problem and I tried to avoid it but couldn't. My son is 2 weeks old, we just got him out of nicu 3 days ago (Not premie, born 12lbs, had pneumonia) and already created a bad habit that need to stop now. He's been on a schedule for eating the whole time until today it seems. Today he just won't stop eating!! Eats and spits up, and he will only go to sleep today if he's eating on my breast. Yea I get comfort feeding but it creates a nasty habit that I don't want to go through all over again. How do I stop the breastfeeding to sleep thing. He will sit awake until his next feeding just to sleep (which seems super human-like for a newborn), so I had to start feeding to sleep. Please help me stop this.

Default Re: 2 weeks and already bad habit.

Your baby is two weeks old, right? This means that up until 2 weeks ago, your baby was fed continuously. In the weeks just prior to his birth, he was gaining about a half pound a week. Assuming your baby is gaining normally, he is still gaining about a half pound a week. So of course, he wants to nurse very frequently, that is entirely normal and needed for a two week old baby. Nursing to sleep is also normal. Babies need to be comforted to sleep somehow, and nature made nursing to sleep the preference because it allows baby to get additional nourishment and be connected to mom which regulates their breathing and heart rate and keeps them warm and protected, while also being comforted to sleep.

In the first couple of weeks after birth, babies often are very sleepy, and your baby had the additional stress of being very ill. So, up until two weeks, your baby may have seemed to be more amenable to a feeding schedule. But now, as is typical, he is waking up and realizing, hey, I need to eat lots and lots! Since his tummy is very tiny, this means, nursing very frequently. Spitting up is entirely normal, but if it is being partially caused by too much milk, then frequent nursing would be helpful.

We can offer you many ideas for getting rest for yourself during this intense newborn period if you are interested. But your baby's behavior is NOT a bad habit, nor does it lead to a bad habit. Because nursing to sleep is normal and beneficial, there is nothing bad about it - even if it does cause some frustrations for mom. Obviously, many entirely normal and healthy behaviors of babies and young children (and older children as well) are sources of frustration for their parents. This does not make them bad habits.

Nursing to sleep is a need driven by instinct and is beneficial to your baby. When a baby is put on a feeding schedule, sleep trained, or prevented from nursing to sleep, especially in the newborn period, it can lead to breastfeeding and intake problems, including low milk production and poor weight gain, even failure to thrive.

If you want to try to not nurse baby to sleep all the time, to avoid such problems, my best suggestion would be to 1) Let baby nurse to sleep at least some of the time each day, and 2) Try to comfort baby to sleep some other way (walking baby down while carrying baby, or in a sling, or having someone else do so, taking baby on a walk, rocking, etc. If your baby will take a pacifier, you can try that, but of course, that may lead to reliance on the pacifier! This is why pacifiers were invented after all. The most concerning issues with pacifiers in this newborn period is they can lead to a myriad of breastfeeding problems BUT, if used carefully and only absolutely as needed, and they do not interfere at all with how often baby nurses overall, then they can probably be used safely in most cases.

Here is some info that may be helpful: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/comfortnursing/ and http://kellymom.com/parenting/parent...inks-concerns/ and http://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; May 18th, 2017 at 09:41 PM.