Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping...What kind of bottles for an infant?

Default Pumping...What kind of bottles for an infant?

Hi all,
    I am pumping so we can offer a few bottles of expressed breast milk. Any advice on what bottles/nipples to use for a newborn, 16 days old? Thanks, Karen

Default Re: Pumping...What kind of bottles for an infant?

Hello - I use the Playtex nurser system bottles & slow flow nipples - natural latch. Some come with the bottles if you get the whole package (bottles, liners & nipples). I also used the medela nipples and bottles (so you could feed directly from bottles you pumped in) but was advised not to use those b/c they aren't similar to breastfeeding. Anyway, just be careful about giving a bottle so quickly so there's no confusion in latching.

I have always advised people against offering bottles unless it can't be avoided because my son and I ran into some really serious problems with nipple confusion etc. We almost lost our nursing relationship. I know this does not happen with every child but I still don't feel it is worth the risk. If you find that it is necessary I would start with the slow flow nipple and never move up to a faster flow nipple. If your baby has to work for the milk from the bottle then there is less chance of nipple confusion. I used the Avent bottles which are said to be as close to breastfeeding as possible. You may want to try giving milk to baby via some other means. Some people find a syringe or a spoon works well.

i definitely do not recommend offering a bottle that soon. you need to ground your breast and baby system before mixing it up a bit. is there a specific reason you want to offer the bottle? if you don't need to, then don't yet. give a couple months. Hang in there!
    Last edited by @llli*LLLCarla; January 29th, 2009 at 08:09 AM.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008