Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain with Breastfeeding

Default Pain with Breastfeeding

I am a new mother with a beautiful three week old son. Breatfeeding at first was very painful, but after a few days the pain went away and I had no problem. Now for the past few days my right breast feels as if someone is trying to cut it starting at my nipple and continueing to my underarm. I can feel the pain shoot down my arm to my fingertips. Sometimes my arm goes numb. All this happens within the first few minutes that my son begins to feed on the breast. After a few minutes of suckling the pain subsides and I feel fine.

I have checked with the faq's and think that I may have thrush, but am unsure. I don't like to go to the hospital or doctor's office and find out that it is nothing at all and I am just overreacting about the pain.

Help, please!!

Default Re: Pain with Breastfeeding

Hi there!

Ouch, that sounds painful! Please don't think you're overreacting! If it's painful or uncomfortable you need to change it.

The fact that the pain subsides shortly after the feeding begins though, makes me think that perhaps it's not thrush. I got something like this when I started to feel my letdowns. There are milk ducts and glands almost back into your armpit, so the sensation could be felt quite deeply and thoroughly through the breast. Usually after the letdown subsided the pain did too. Mind you I had a very powerful letdown so that could be why it was so uncomfortable at first.

Another potential is vasospasm, which is often accompanied by nipple blanching (and nipple pain) and can be confused with thrush. A friend of mine had it and almost gave up bfing before she found some ways around it. Here's more information:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...blanching.html

Not a bad idea to get checked for thrush just to be sure since you really need to be treated to get rid of it. However, check out these other resources and see if anything looks familiar.

Hope this helps! Feel better soon

I had something like that too at first and it went away. Check symptoms of other stuff though: baby have a white mouth? Do you have a fever? Do you have red patches on your breasts? Hard lumps?

You might also read about how your nipple should be shaped after a feeding to be sure he is latching correctly.

I didn't have any of that, but the tips of my nipples would blanch sometimes. I still feel like threads from my nipple to the edges of my breast are snapping on occasion. My breastfeeding arm also goes very cold during a feeding. I have no idea what this is, but all seems well with me, we've been doing this for three months now.

Thank you both for the help. My nipples, both of them blanch after a feeding, but only the right breast is in pain. I have no lumps, but this morning in the shower I noticed red streaks on the side of my breast that hurts. I will check out the link and will make a doctor's appointment to have it looked at. Again, thank you both.

Red streaks, could be plugged milk ducts, mastisis... Take a look at some of LLL's links and take your temperature! No small lumps near the streaks?

No lumps at all near the streaks. I will call the doctor and make an appointment today.

A regular doctor may not be able to help. LCs and LLL are usually very knowledgeable.

the first thing i thought was thrush as well. i had a horrible case of thrush and 2 cases of mastitis just with this child. all of it within the first 2 months.

my red spot with mastitis didn't show up until like a week after the pain started..funny short story, i went to the urgent care cause i just could NOT take it anymore and the DR asked if i had any red marks and i said no and when i removed my bra there was one! lol

anyways, back to thrush real quick, the pain was only when my son would latch , after he started sucking it would go away. i hated the thought of even latching him and would scream in pain. he had the white patches and they just would not go away, even with medicine...it didn't bother him at all! but it was killing me. i asked the PED, and she suggested Lotrimin to be applied i think 4 times a day to the nipple. so what i would do was put it on AFTER he ate on that side and then it would be at least 2 hours until the next feed so it would have time to work and then i would wash the nipple off when he got hungry.

it definitely could be mastitis as well...but persinally i cannot remember if it hurt when he latched...i just remember hurting all over and feeling like the flu hit me like a head on collision.
    ~~ Valarie ~~
    wife to matt
    mommy to
    ricky 2.9.03, christian 6.28.05, baby olive due JAN 2008