Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possibly weaning?

Default Possibly weaning?

Hi. I am nursing my almost 2 year old 4 days a week before a nap when I work and all other days at bedtime. Lately, especially at bedtime he asks for boobs but only latches on for a few seconds (quick sip but not sure if getting milk) and then starts talking to me or having his stuffed toys pretend nurse. He also rarely accepts the right breast anymore. When I think he's not interested & cover them up he gets upset saying "more." Is this a sign he's starting to self wean? I love our nursing relationship but this is very frustrating all the on/off. I also am 38 and want to undergo clomid and IUI to hopefully conceive #2 which they won't do if BF. (Got pregnant last Sept while BF but miscarried 9 weeks & nothing since. got pregnant with current child that way) So part of this is me wanting him to be done BF. What used to be a fairly pleasant sleep routine seems to have grown into him bouncing on & off the breast! Any insight would be helpful!

Default Re: Possibly weaning?

Why can't you go ahead with the clomid and IUI? I mean, what is the objection from your doctor exactly? From what I am reading, the only breastfeeding issue with clomid is it suppresses milk production when used immediately post partum. Obviously that concern is not relevant in any way to your situation. Otherwise it is not contraindicated for a nursing mother to take. At this point your child is receiving a very small amount of your milk anyway, at least compared to say, a 6 month old. And from what I see in Hale, clomid is not even contraindicated in that case. You got pregnant before so your luteal phase and everything is normal, right? I assume they are having you chart and done tests and know you are hormonally capable of conceiving, with a normal luteal phase etc? or you would not be a good candidate for IUI, right? So I am not sure why they are saying you need to wean, except that doctors tell mothers that they need to wean unnecessarily all the time with multiple excuses.

Your son's behavior is normal, but what it means as far as when he might wean 'on his own" is impossible to say. It could be weeks to years. If you want to move weaning along more quickly, I suggest the books How Weaning Happens or The Nursing Mothers guide to Weaning.

they didn't suggest it but I started charting about 3 months ago (after reading taking charge of your fertility) & it doesn't seem like I have a luteal phase defect. they did some tests but not all (some of the tests like prolactin said don't bother until done BF). I feel they just say that "just in case." since I got pregnant while BF we decided to give it a try for a few cycles but no luck. They also said most likely my milk would dry up if when/if I got pregnant so I felt like they were telling me why bother. i hate to go for multiple opinions only to be likely told the same thing. it seems like i'm not the only one whose had this problem & it's very frustrating!! I have a very persistent child so I think weaning will be very challenging if it's not on his terms.

It sounds like they are only telling you to wean just because. In other words, no actual medical reason to wean. Remember only a tiny fraction of doctors know a thing about what happens in a womans body when a child is nursing at the age your child is. For example, your child weaning (no longer nursing) would not mean you would immediately stop making milk, in fact, you might continue to lactate for months. Also, by this age, milk production is much less about hormones anyway. So I am not sure why they would say not bother with any tests while you nurse your toddler except that they do not really understand breastfeeding. Also, even if it were true that "most likely (your) milk would dry up if when/if (you) got pregnant" , that is totally irrelevant to whether you would need to wean prior to treatment, and actually, it is not true. Yes milk production is usually reduced by the hormones of pregnancy, but that does not mean the milk will entirely "dry up" nor that a child will stop nursing.

Anyway, I have some experience (and success) with trying to conceive as an "older" mom, both when nursing and not. So here are some thoughts.

If you are having regular periods and only started charting 3 months ago, I would suggest keep trying the old fashioned way. If you have read Taking Charge, you know it can take several cycles to see a recognizable pattern esp with BBT.
    IIRC Taking Charge cautions against using ovulation predictor kits and has a good explanation why. But, I think if you understand what the ovulation predictor means as far as timing intercourse, and when to use it, etc., and use a good one, it can be a very good addition to your charting. Personally OP tests helped me pinpoint things better. I also used a spit predictor, and I found it always accurate (or at least in line with my other signs.)

This is not to say do not do the clomid and/or IUI. I am just saying, while you are figuring out the whole weaning before treatment thing, you can keep trying.

Personally I am a believer that doctors do not know everything, and they also do not need to know things that are not relevant.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; May 16th, 2017 at 05:49 PM.

Oh and for help with annoying nursing behavior, you may find this article helpful: http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infan...ing-manners-2/