Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work - pumping question

Default Back to work - pumping question

Right now my LO (3mos) is feeding about 4oz every 3 hours. Now that I will only be breast feeding him in the evenings and on the weekends, how will my body know when he starts wanting /needing more and thus produce more? Is there something special I need to do?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Back to work - pumping question

Hi and welcome! Are you concerned about baby needing more for a growth spurt, or something else? As long as you nurse on cue when with baby including over night, (you can also "offer" (gently encourage) baby to nurse more often if you like or think it needed) and you are pumping with good frequency and result (pump is working well for you) when at work, your production should be fine. Babies do not need more and more milk each day as they get older. Yes they are bigger but they are also growing more slowly. So daily needs remain pretty much the same from about one month of age on. They do tend to eat more at a time or eat more quickly, so you might want to be sure your caregivers are being careful to not over feed baby, as this leads to multiple issues. More info: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Also, if baby is already sleeping long stretches at night (more than 5 or 6 hours at a time) you might need to think about how that might be impacting the situation. Some amount of overnight nursing for at least a few more months is typical whether mom works away from baby or not. Working moms often find nursing overnight is needed for normal milk production, also it helps prevent bottle preference from developing.