Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting Solids--How much?

Default Starting Solids--How much?

We recently introduced solids to my 6 month old. I'm wondering, can I expect my son's appetite for solids to normally coincide with how much he should eat at any given meal? In other words, at a given feeding, should I keep feeding him as long as he wants more, or should I stop him after a certain amount? I know they don't need a lot at first, and his weight gain has been slow (though his growth in length is good and he's otherwise healthy and alert), so I want to make especially sure that he keeps getting enough breastmilk and all the calories he needs.

Thanks!

Default Re: Starting Solids--How much?

If baby is self feeding, such as with "baby led weaning" you can probably let baby eat as much as they want and see if it causes any problems. If baby is being spoon fed purees or mashed foods, baby may keep taking more because they enjoy being fed...does that make sense? Also it depends on who is doing the feeding. I have seen many times that some people keep coaxing and encouraging baby to eat, saying that baby "still wants more." Baby should not have to push the spoon away or turn their head to get the caregiver to stop feeding them. Baby led can also be done with mashed, spoon fed foods as long as caregiver is truly letting baby take the lead. Purees are more problematic as they require no chewing or mastication, they are basically thick liquids and it is easy to over feed /over eat with them.

It is recommended to nurse baby right before baby is offered any solids. I also found that I could encourage my child to nurse right after solids because they were thirsty if I did not offer water with solids.

Also no need to offer solids multiple times a day or even every day when first starting out.

Thanks! We are doing purees right now but we are trying to do them in a baby led way. I try to just offer without coaxing. Usually when he wants some he will grab the spoon or my hand and guide it to his mouth himself; sometimes he just opens his mouth and leans forward; but I try to wait for him to do one of those things before I feed him, and let him down and nurse him as soon as he seems to be done. We haven't offered water or any liquids because I want him to keep getting his liquids from breastmilk for a while. We've been offering solids once a day, on most days but not every day.

Sometimes he only wants a bite or two, and that's fine, but with foods he likes he might be eager to have more...what would be the upper limit of how much he should have at once right now?

As long ad the child is breastfed before feeding? Allow him to eat? As far his food intake coinciding with actual hunger and sation? Not until well over a year. Food at this point is just a fun experience. He won't figure out that he actuallly tastes with his tongue until more like 9or10 months. And as far as eating for hunger That doesn't usually happen until after a year. My son was eating 3 meals a day and 2 snacks a day by the year point. But didn't actually begin to understand that food was food in the same way that milk was until well after 14months. Before that he was participating in the ritual and the experience of different flavors and textures and it was all very new and exciting but he expected to be breastfed when he was hungry. We did all babyled so we never had an purees at all so literally every new food he ate was a new experience. It was an excting time in his life.

Way too lazy for formula