Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do I pump and work past age 1?

Default How do I pump and work past age 1?

My daughter will turn one next week. I pump three times at work, 9 am, 12 pm, and 3pm. I get 12 oz to give at daycare (she goes 4 days a week, nurses and no bottles 3 days a week, nursing before after work etc.)

Do I continue to pump three times at work through age two? I didn't want to introduce cow's milk and my goal is age two. Thank you.

Default Re: How do I pump and work past age 1?

If you want to continue to pump, assuming work is ok with it, it is fine. If you want to reduce pumping, that is probably fine too. But reducing how many times in the day you pump will act to reduce milk production. But this does not mean that baby would need cow milk. The normal weaning process involves very gradual reduction of milk production as baby gradually nurses less and eats more and more solids. If mom is pumping she can replicate that natural process by gradually reducing how much she pumps. But this gradual process can start anytime after a year or so, and take as long as makes sense to you. It all depends on how your body and baby respond to the less pumping.

I have heard that if a baby nurses 4 times a day, they do not need cow milk. But this must assume baby is getting some specific amount each time baby nurses, and that is not going to be universal, so I am not sure that is a reliable number. But certainly if a baby is getting enough breastmilk overall, they do not need cow milk.

And while it may be helpful for some kids, no child actually needs to drink cow milk. It is considered an easy or perhaps more reliable delivery system for certain important nutrients, so across whole populations that include families where there may not be enough nutritious food available for young, growing children, milk intake is strongly encouraged to help kids in that situation to get enough overall calories and nutrients. But there are many other ways to get those nutrients into a child who is eating solids. So, if you want to avoid cow milk and baby is nursing when you are home and eating enough solids, I do not see why baby would need cow milk.

Some day cares do insist on milk for the kids. It has something to do with government funding. If that is your situation, then if you wanted to avoid dairy, either you would want to pump enough to meet whatever that requirement is or ask if another alternative is acceptable.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; May 1st, 2017 at 11:24 PM.

Default Re: How do I pump and work past age 1?

It's actually 3-5 times a day. And even if you start to cut out pumping sessions and continue to nurse on demand while together you will more than probably hit that number. The reason it works this way is because your milk is higher in fat content than cows milk and obviously more absorbable. My child wouldn't drink cow's milk at all until after 2 and he certainly didn't chose it as a substitute. Because breastmilk is much much sweeter. So it was just...something he drank with cookies or had in his cereal. Never something he drank to replace my milk. I was home with my son until he was 14months old. When he started being away from me at that point-and I went back to work full time-40-45hours a week, I didn't pump at all. He drank water while away from me and at solids and we continued to nurse on demand while together. So you are with your child full time 3 days a week and still pumping. So you can begin to cut down on the pumping one session at a time like cut one now, another in 3 or 4 months ect until you are fully pump weaned or you can do it quicker if your baby doesn't seem like she needs as much milk as you encourage more solids. Either way after you have been making milk for over a year? You aren't in danger of losing your milk. You have been making it for long enough that usually you can nurse on demand. I will say that after I went back to work, the all of a sudden my child who had alwyas been a one side per feeding feeder, began to switch sides during the sessions. I assume that meant there was less milk than before. But he still was able to find it. He just now needed both breasts to do it.

Way too lazy for formula