Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting/Strike

Default Biting/Strike

My son turned 1 on April 5th and he's my 3rd. I breastfed my first until he was 2 and my 2nd until he was 14 months. My youngest has always been a biter and though my older 2 bit too, it was basically a one day thing. I said no, put them in their bed a few times and they stopped. My 1 year old will not stop biting me no matter what I do and it's been this way since he was probably 5 or 6 months (even before teeth). Recently he has started nursing until letdown then stopping and trying to bite but I know when he is about to do it because he pulls back so I stop him and he gets upset but when I try to feed him again after that he does it right away again and does literally nothing else until I give up and he gets no milk. This has been going on for a few days. Of course everyone around me says he is self weaning which I don't believe but I don't know how to get him to stop or to nurse normally. He has 7 teeth and is working on #8 but I don't see why that one would be so bad that it's all caused by teething. I already can't eat eggs because he is allergic to them so he's really not making this BF journey an easy one for me. lol Any advice?

Default Re: Biting/Strike

My third did the same thing! Awful, several times a nursing session biting that lasted way longer than my other kid who bit (first was a clamper but not an intentional biter.) I forget when this was...I think it started at 8 or 9 months.

While it happened, I did not know what to do. I mean she really hurt me sometimes. I even got injured pretty bad once. Sometimes all I could do was take her off and go cry somewhere, it hurt that much.

Anyway, it finally stopped. I did not do anything magic to make it stop, there was no reason, it just stopped. She is 4 now and still nurses!

I agree, the idea biting means a child is weaning never made any sense to me. A weaning child can just stop nursing. They do not need to bite! (Also weaning is usually gradual, not a sudden stop.) I also never thought my baby biting was caused by teething. She did not bite anything else that I recall.

So I am really sorry, I do not have advice about the biting. There are a few reasons babies bite and ideas for what to do about it, kellymom covers them all really well so you can check to see if you missed anything. But in my personal experience this can be just a phase.

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; April 20th, 2017 at 09:13 PM.