Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at Work

Default Pumping at Work

I just started back to work today, but will only be working half days for a total of 20 hours. This morning I nursed my baby at 8 before I left, and then pumped at 10:30 and got 10 ounces from that session. He took two, three ounce bottles while I was away, one at 10 and one at 12, and I got home at 12:45. However, I only pumped once at 10:30. Is this okay to do since I have such oversupply? Or do I need to continue to pump each time he eats while I'm away?

Default Re: Pumping at Work

Since the separation is pretty short (5 hours total?) And as long as baby is nursing shortly before and shortly after the separation begins and ends, then you can probably pump once even if you got much less milk when you pumped. But here are some things to think about.

If you are getting over full before or after you pump, you might be setting your self up for plugs or mastitis. So just be careful about that. Over fullness would also tell your body to make less milk, but as you say, that may not be a problem if you are overproducing.

Over a 5 hour separation, baby got 6 ounces of milk in bottles. This is fine but I would suggest be careful this number does not creep up much beyond that. Generally you want baby to be eager to nurse when you get home, and overfeeding with bottles might interfere with baby's interest in nursing.

10 ounces is a very large amount to be pumping at one session. You do not say how old baby is, but just be aware it is likely you will not always pump that much at work. Don't let a drop in pump output cause you to panic about your overall milk production. Milk production is measured by over all production and depends on frequent enough and effective milk removal over all. So pump output and milk production are two different things.

In many work situations, getting enough time to pump is difficult. If you pump once a day now, and later find you are more comfortable with pumping twice, or need to pump twice, it might be harder to increase your break time to do this. On the other hand, if you pump twice now, and in a few weeks it is clear you only need to pump once, then it is a simple matter to reduce pumping.

If you do pump twice a day, I would suggest do not pump out so much each time. In fact, even with pumping once, pumping 10 ounces might be enough to increase your production. It all depends on your overall production and how often baby nurses the rest of the day and night.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; April 18th, 2017 at 05:46 PM.

Thank you for your reply!! That is helpful He is 11 weeks old, so still early in our BF relationship. I suppose I will try to pump twice on the shifts where I can (I'm a physical therapist so I have to plan them around my patients) but if I only get one in some days I should be okay. Thank you again!

That sounds like a good plan.