Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Burping breastfed baby

Default Re: Burping breastfed baby

I tried offering this side in the lying side position during the night and it worked fine. thank you for the detailed post.
    It doesnt feel too hard/engorged/firm since 2 days, is that a sign that it will gradually go away?when the plug gets cleared I wont feel any lump, right?

Also there are red stretchmarks which feel like rashes or rashes that look like stretch marks on the same side below the breast. It is itchy and i have burning sensation. What are these

It doesnt feel too hard/engorged/firm since 2 days, is that a sign that it will gradually go away?
    Possibly. In any case, it is very good that you are feeling less engorged or not engorged. By this point (anytime after 6 weeks of age) it is typical to start feeling much less fullness or even no fullness at all.
    when the plug gets cleared I wont feel any lump, right?
    Usually, yes. It is possible that a lump would be present but mom cannot feel it, but that would usually happen if mom was very full or engorged as well.
    Also there are red stretchmarks which feel like rashes or rashes that look like stretch marks on the same side below the breast. It is itchy and i have burning sensation. What are these
    Sometimes these are actually just itchy stretch marks. Like a mild rash. Lactating moms get hot, sweat, and there is lots going on in the breast, so often this type of thing is just a not serious, mild topical issue caused by nursing.

If you are also feeling run down, achy, have a fever, etc as well as the red marks, this might mean you have mastitis. If you are feeling ok, you may still want to treat this as if you are coming down with mastitis. This means, start resting a lot and, again, keep encouraging baby to nurse lots. "Empty breast, lots of rest" is the way to ward off mastitis. Empty breast does not mean you must actually empty the breast, you just want milk coming out of the breast frequently so the breast stays overall soft. Resting means, if you are standing, sit, if you are sitting, lie down, if you are lying down, sleep. Also do other things that help build strength- drink plenty of water and eat healthily.
    If you start feeling ill, you may need antibiotoics. You can continue to nurse your baby while you have mastitis and are taking antibiotics! In fact it is a must.

More info: mastitis: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

General info on itching breasts: http://www.livestrong.com/article/21...ching-breasts/ Please note that inflammatory breast cancer mentioned in this article is quite rare with fairly dramatic symptoms. But you could take a look at those symptoms and see what you think.

LO is now 10 weeks old.
    1. I can still feel the lump in the right breast, although it is not getting much heavy/fullness and I am not having much discomfort due to that. However, i feel it is still there. Is this a cause for worry. I know you mentioned it takes a bit of time for this to get sorted.
    2. Initially I had OP and used to get full very soon. This had got self corrected a few weeks back. But now since past 2 days my left breast is tending to get full and my baby is having trouble again due to that as the milk sprays (a lot!). I am nursing as often as I can 1.5-2 hours. But this side gets full too often since past 2 days.
    What measures can I take to help the situation apart from frequent nursing?

If you are having a lump in your breast that is lasting for a long time, I think that it makes sense to see a doctor just to rule out any possibility that this is not a plug. The doctor may offer breastfeeding advice, which you can probably ignore. What You want to know is if this is a plug and not something serious. If it is a plug, I do not know what else to suggest except to perhaps see an IBCLC.

For fast flow, Have you tried nursing in a more reclined position with baby on top? You could also take baby off the breast once the milk starts to flow, let it flow into a cloth, then re-latch baby.
    It is a little odd that your milk production has increased at this point. So, also be sure you are not doing anything to increase milk production...such as taking galactagogues, drinking special "lactation tea" and the like, or pumping.

Thank you for all the help.
    I alternate between each side at feeding, is that in anyway related/causing milk production issues?
    I rarely pump, I am trying to get her used to bottle feeding for times when I am away. So only for that reason I pump for 15-20 minutes once in 2 weeks or a week probably.

I alternate between each side at feeding, is that in anyway related/causing milk production issues?
    Probably not. Baby nursing both sides each session is a milk production increasing strategy. On the other hand, baby nursing one side at a time may make the letdown faster if there is consequently a long pause between nursing that particular side. If you think that is contributing to your baby's dislike of the fast letdown, you can hand express a little milk before baby nurses on that side. Just enough so the flow is not so fast.

So only for that reason I pump for 15-20 minutes once in 2 weeks or a week probably.
    Ok pumping once a week or less is not going to cause any problems.

You may just be one of those moms who make more than enough milk for longer than is typical. It does not sound like it is causing serious problems (serious would be you getting repeated painful plugs and/or mastitis and/or baby refusing to nurse) so I think most likely you can just wait it out and over time, your body will catch up to baby...or rather, slow down so baby can catch up.

So I visited the OB/GYN for this. Below suggested by them:
    -- Try on demand feeding (Currently i nurse every 1.5-2hrs in the day and 3-3.5hrs in the night) Since she latches on only for 5-10 mins at every feeding, doctor feels that she isnt emptying the breast as much. This results in milk not being drained and eventually leads to fullness and possibly clogged milk. with on demand and trying for longer nursing session each time, milk drainage will be better. Also body will get accustomed to baby's needs accordingly.

-- Try to offer both sides at each feeding. After feeding pump once every 4 hours for about 5 minutes, to check the pumping output. This will let know if a lot of pumping output is generated even after feeding. If so, baby is not emptying breast well and there is more milk than baby requires/needs. I pumped after a feeding, and output from both sides was an ounce each. I also tried offering the second breast, however she refuses.

-- Ibuprofen twice a day to reduce inflammation.

-- warm compress and massage on the affected breast before feeding.

Finally I have been asked to follow the above for a week or two and if the problem still persists an ultrasound will be needed.

So of those ideas, are there any you have not already tried?

Anyway, here are some thoughts..

Nursing less often (which is what I assume doctor means by nursing "on demand") may indeed result in baby taking more milk at a time...but it also leads to milk sitting in the breast longer, which is going to increase the likelihood of plugs, as well as increase fast letdown. Yes it might indeed help nursing sessions be longer and the breast to be more softened. But, it also might not do anything and it also might make things worse. So, I would suggest be careful about listening to your body. If the idea is getting the breast more empty, you can do the same thing by pumping after baby nurses. But I thought you had already tried that? Also you can encourage baby to nurse longer on the problem side a variety of ways. Not saying this idea will not work, I am just saying that at this point haven't you already tried 'draining' the breast and still the plug persists?

Try to offer both sides at each feeding.
    Well if baby is nursing less often you might find baby wants this anyway. But again, baby nursing both sides each time baby nurses is a technique for increasing milk production. Also, isn't the plug on one side and not the other? I would think it makes sense to have baby pay more attention to that side in that case.
    After feeding pump once every 4 hours for about 5 minutes, to check the pumping output. This will let know if a lot of pumping output is generated even after feeding. If so, baby is not emptying breast well and there is more milk than baby requires/needs.
    Pumping after nursing (or other times) to help extract a plug is pretty standard plug advice. I just assumed you had already tried this. Again when/if you do this, just be careful about listening to your body.

But I do not understand the other reasons for pumping. First off, how much a mom pumps is not a good indicator of much. Also, why does it matter if you make more than baby needs? I mean, don't you already know that you probably do? That is what overproduction means. When a mom has OP, baby may be nursing perfectly fine but yes of course there is milk left in the breasts. The milk being left in the breasts is what tells the body to reduce production. If I understand correctly, the doctor is telling you to pump both breasts 6 times a day. This is going to increase your milk production. That may not be a good idea if mom already makes enough or more than enough milk. So, listen to your body.

But this made me remember- There is a rarely used technique for severe OP called full drainage block feeding. (FDBF.) I suppose it could help with a persistent plug as well. FDBF means a mom pumps and pumps one time to completely drain the breast. Then she starts block feeding. If needed, she continues to pump this way no more than once per day.But this is so extreme I would strongly suggest seeing an IBCLC before trying it. Also I would not suggest the block feeding part, just the one time "full drainage" part. But of course the risk again is increasing production. But this is why plugs and OP are a tricky (if common) combination. Usually it is best to listen to your body to get an idea of which issue you should be focusing on at the moment.

-- Ibuprofen twice a day to reduce inflammation.
    This is a good idea as it should act to reduce inflammation and has no downside from a breastfeeding standpoint.

-- warm compress and massage on the affected breast before feeding.
    This is standard plug advice, but haven't you already done this? The theory is that warm compresses help the milk flow. But since heat causes inflammation, the current suggestion is to avoid direct heat, even before nursing. Instead, cold compresses at any time (not just before feeding) on the breasts to reduce inflammation and heat on the back or neck or shoulders to help mom relax. But I am not saying do not use heat on the breasts- it was suggested for a long time and there are many moms who swear by it for helping them extract plugs. If it helps you, then do it. But the science of physiology says cold for reducing inflammation, not heat.

Massage same thing- many moms swear by it, and for the actual working out of a plug it makes a lot of sense. But the current recommendations suggest that direct massage may be another source of inflammation and mom might do better with indirect "bag of marbles" massage techniques.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 9th, 2017 at 03:42 PM.

Yes i have tried some of those ideas but not for a considerable period of time s to see results.
    Doesnt frequent feeding also indicate the body to make more milk (Not that i want to avoid frequent feeding in any manner!)
    With the current frequent feeding as suggested here also I feel full on the other unaffected side. the plug/lump is on the right side. But even the left side (the side which feels full) has a hardness on the beneath, which the doc felt and said that milk is being collected and remains. I am worried if this side also will become problematic in the coming days.

I also feel that pumping will only increase the production, so I think I am not going to pump (although doc advised to pump only during the day)
    Warm compress does get the milk to flow but doesnt help with easing out the plug.

How long does it generally take for the body to follow the pattern like the baby wants? My baby will be 3 months soon. I hope ibuprofen works!

back again for some help! going crazy
    i am still dealing with the plugged duct. it is the size of a marble on my right side. not having pain or fever due to this. i am taking 2 doses of ibuprofen daily, after lunch and dinner.
    alternating feeding on each side, since left side has a problem of getting full/engorged.
    during the day nurse every 2 hrs. and night 8 pm to morning 7 am every 3 hrs. on average about 10-11 sessions per day. LO still nurses for 5-10 minutes during each feed an probably does not drain the breast all that well (I may be wrong on this) Off late it is getting difficult to get her to nurse more often, she is content and happy though.

- With the right side(plug side) i do not feel engorged/full, but the milk sprays and flows like crazy. LO has a lot of difficulty nursing this side, although I do hand express before nursing it still does not help. I do feel less lumpy after feeding session.
    - the left side also gets full often, specially in the morning, possibly due to the night time feedings taking at longer gaps. If i try to wake her more often in the night her sleep gets disrupted and it is difficult to put her back to sleep
    - i tried dangle nursing once but it did not go well with her and ended up spitting up with discomfort. this was when she was asleep in the night and i woke her up to feed. At night I use side lying position and since she is asleep then it goes well.
    - I have tried massage and vibration.
    - I am not pumping (which is what doc had advised) as I already have over production and i do not want to it worse. Correctly pointed out by you too that it might exacerbate the issue.
    - during most feeding and especially night feedings I have to hand express before nursing, and also when i start nursing I have to stop and express in a towel since flow is too fast and sprays

What else can be done? Is it a problem that it is lasting for so long, its almost a month now.