Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burping breastfed baby

Default Re: Burping breastfed baby

It would be normal for fast flow and over production to correct over time. These are usually self-correcting issues.
    Gagging at the breast is fairly common, and spit up is normal, but I am not sure about excessive or scary looking gagging, gagging when asleep etc. I would suggest talk to pediatrician about that.

LO is 7 weeks. Day time feeding 2-2.5 hrs apart, night time 3-3.5 hrs apart.
    (1) In my previous post I mentioned about the over production correction. While it has eased out to an extent, my breasts still feel full and milk sprays. This causes my baby discomfort when she is feeding, sometimes she struggles to swallow and makes loud gulping sounds and looks tired after feeding, spits up sometimes and coughs. Although I know these are somewhat normal, I try to hand express for a couple of minutes right before feeding so as to let go the milk that sprays. Will this increase the milk production? I do it as then she feeds a little more with comfort.

(2) I have to step of the house for a few hours occasionally. During such times I would have to keep milk for her in a bottle. When is a good time to pump, after or before a feeding? How many times in the day can i pump. These instances though will be very few.

I try to hand express for a couple of minutes right before feeding so as to let go the milk that sprays. Will this increase the milk production? I do it as then she feeds a little more with comfort.
    It would depend on how often you do this and how much you express. The more on either, the more likely it would increase milk production.

Have you tried offering the breast more often to see if it helps at all? There is no one precise amount of time between feedings that is "correct." In other words, to decrease fast letdown some babies might do fine nursing every three hours but others would want to try nursing every hour. (for part of the day, not all day and night.) It is not possible to nurse too often so no reason to not offer more and see what happens. If baby is not interested, then that is that. But most babies are happy to nurse more often at least part of the day when encouraged to do so.

(2) I have to step of the house for a few hours occasionally. During such times I would have to keep milk for her in a bottle. When is a good time to pump, after or before a feeding? How many times in the day can i pump. These instances though will be very few.
    Generally You can pump whenever it is convenient for you. Most recommendations say pump after baby eats, because the presumption is that if you pump before baby nurses, the pump "takes all the milk." But in fact this is not necessarily true. It would depend on how long you pump, what your breast storage capacity is, and how much milk over all you make. Since you have OP and are expressing a little milk before feedings anyway, I see no reason to not go ahead and pump before baby nurses if that makes more sense for you time wise.

Also, if the separation is really only a few hours baby may not need a bottle at all, or only a very small "just in case" one.

Do not worry if your baby does not always burp as some babies don't burp after every feed. As long as you attempt to burp your baby at every feed you are doing the best you can do for her. As she gets older and stronger you will be able to sit her up more easily and as a result she will burp more quickly. As for the shorter time feeding do not worry, as babies change their feeding habits from birth until they are weaned. Some babies only feed from one side early in their development others need two sides fairly quickly and other's feed from one side only for sometime. you sound like a Mother who is very in touch with her newborn, don't worry she will let you know when she needs more milk as she will not settle after a feed and will also be uncomfortable if she has wind. There is a useful topic on winding techniques on the website - www.babyconfused.com/winding-your-baby.

I noticed a lump inside my right breast, it does not hurt as of now. There is no redness on the exterior.
    I nurse about 9-10 times in 24 hours. Tried applying heat to the area, little of massage also. It still remains. I am nursing from that side too and alternating sides at every feeding.
    I tried pumping for 20 mins after just having nursed my baby on the right side. The output from the right side (the affected side) was only a few drops )about 10-15 drops) and the left side output was 4 oz. Based on the output, i wonder if my baby got any milk from the right side.

What can I do remedy the situation?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*vedimama View Post
    I noticed a lump inside my right breast, it does not hurt as of now. There is no redness on the exterior.
    I nurse about 9-10 times in 24 hours. Tried applying heat to the area, little of massage also. It still remains. I am nursing from that side too and alternating sides at every feeding.
    I tried pumping for 20 mins after just having nursed my baby on the right side. The output from the right side (the affected side) was only a few drops )about 10-15 drops) and the left side output was 4 oz. Based on the output, i wonder if my baby got any milk from the right side.

What can I do remedy the situation?
    It certainly sounds like you had plugged duct there. I realize this post was from a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully the situation has resolved by now. How are you feeling?

Hi, thanks for replying. I can still feel a ball kind of lump inside the right breast. I am nursing from that side too, however i have to hand express for a few minutes to cause it to soften before i start nursing, else it feels little hard my lil one gags when starting to nurse. when i do hand express milk does flow and flows fast and sprays 4-5 ways. would this be called a plugged duct still?
    As i mentioned in the earlier post, pumping output from this side was low. I havent tried pumping again.

It doesnt hurt while breast feeding but when i hand express i can feel the pinch. At night I avoid feeding from that side since it becomes full with the longer gap between night feedings.
    Any help to resolve the issue is appreciated

when i do hand express milk does flow and flows fast and sprays 4-5 ways. would this be called a plugged duct still?
    Yes. While a plug might clog one duct (passageway)within the breast, mom has many. And ducts are not the same thing as nipple pores where the milk actually comes out (although these can sometimes be blocked as well, in which case it would probably present as a bleb.) Nipple pores vary in number so you could see milk coming from several even if one pore was completely blocked. Also, a milk duct might be plugged but some milk still can come through. Sometimes the plug is like a dam with places the milk can come through, but more slowly, and other times acts more like a totally blocked tunnel. In either case, although not an emergency, it is probably best to be proactive in trying to release any plugs and practice prevention going forward.

At night I avoid feeding from that side since it becomes full with the longer gap between night feedings
    Are you avoiding nursing from that side so you will get very full, telling your body to reduce milk production? Of for some other reason?

Generally when dealing with a plug, mom wants to avoid the breast becoming too full, usually by encouraging baby to nurse more frequently. If baby is having trouble latching onto or with the fast flow with a very full breast, nursing frequently helps prevent that problem as well.

Here are other plug ideas: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

I avoid nursing from that side during night since she almost always gags and refuses that side (only during night time) may be because it is a little firm and hard. During day time however i do nurse from that side, but i do have hand express before nursing to decrease the firmness. (I am hoping now my supply has gotten adjusted and hand expressing wont cause supply to increase)
    I am nursing frequently (2 hrs during the day and from night 9pm to morning 8am it is every 3 hrs)
    I have tried some of the options listed in the article attached, but I still feel the lump. Is it normal for it to continue for so long?

Is it normal for it to continue for so long?
    Yes, as far as I know a plug can last indefinitely if the issue is not addressed. I believe that the reason this one is lasting so long is that you are allowing your breast to continuously get so full that it is actually getting hard- engorged.

There are many reasons to try to avoid engorgement. To avoid discomfort, to avoid or resolve plugs, and to avoid mastitis, you want milk to be removed from the breast often enough that you do not become so full and hard. Also, continued fullness like this is telling your body to make less milk. If you have OP, then that is a message you may want your body to get, however, you want to be in control of how full the breast gets and for how long. Going so long with regular daily fullness of several hours overnight is likely to reduce production too much, unless mom was making way to much to start. And even then, it is not a situation you want to go on and on.

I understand your baby gags and is not wanting to nurse at the hard breast. But this is another reason why you want to do what is necessary to (as much as you possibly can) prevent the breast from becoming so engorged baby is having this trouble! It may take several days of working on this before you can easily get baby to nurse more overnight on that one side, but since baby is perfectly capable of nursing on that side other times, this is certainly possible.

I understand your baby is already nursing every 2-3 hours. I am saying it sounds to me as if you need to encourage baby to nurse more often than baby already is. This will not hurt baby in any way, and actually, since it will help baby take the breast overnight, and will protect your health and your milk production, getting baby to nurse more often will help baby.

If you cannot get baby to nurse often enough to resolve this problem of overnight fullness, I would suggest hand expressing or pumping to do this. These are not nearly as good an option as this strategy is likely to increase production, possibly making things worse. However, I think the most pressing issue right now is this pattern of breast refusal leading to super fullness overnight, which is causing you and baby problems and may lead to worse problems.

Another idea for resolving the plug would be to, during several hours one day, nurse very frequently and/or pump for a period of time long enough to start to feel very empty on that breast to see if that helps resolve the plug. But you will still need to be careful to avoid the overnight engorgement or the plug will likely come back or others will form.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; May 28th, 2017 at 09:32 AM.