Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy Nursing Baby

Default Fussy Nursing Baby

Hi everyone,

I had posted a while back and touched on this a little bit, but I wanted to focus more on this as it has been ongoing for a while now.

My LO is almost five months old and probably for the last month or so, she is nursing for between 2-3 minutes on each side. I will have a letdown almost immediately when she latches. When the letdown is over, she pulls off crying. I have to fight with her to latch and nurse again. I will keep putting her back on, but she will usually pull off every time. I can sometimes get her to nurse more, but most of the time I'm unsuccessful. I can sometimes switch positions and get her to nurse again, and sometimes if I keep trying to relatch she will eventually stay on, but it is a constant crying battle.

Just curious to hear if any other BF moms have gone through this with their LO's or if anyone has any advice on how to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Fussy Nursing Baby

I5 month olds are notoriously distractible. They often finish nursing really fast so that they can get back to their interesting lives. It's not unusual for a baby to get a full meal in 5 minutes. If this were my baby, I would probably want to see what happened if I just put her down after a 2-3 minute nursing session. Would she play happily for a while and then come back to the breast on her own? If so, I would just aim to offer a little more often and not make every feeding session into a battle of wills.

It might also help to feed her in a calm, dark environment, like a bedroom with the shades drawn.

When my babies did this I would stop trying to nurse and try again a little later. Like mommal I would put them down (if they tended to enjoy being on the floor) or if not, I might try playing with them on my lap, helping them fall asleep on my shoulder, etc. It just depended. But if baby was clearly saying "no more please" after I tried to re-latch a few times, one way or another I just waited until later. Later could be a few minutes up to an hour or so usually.

I would try that, but it seems like she still wants more after the letdown is over. She like attacks me to try to get back on and then she takes one or two sucks and then comes off crying...like I ran out or something and she can't get anymore. I don't know. It is so puzzling and very frustrating.

Sometimes babies are finished eating but stI'll want to suck. If they continue to get milk, they get frustrated, because they only wanted a nice comforting suck, not a bigger meal.