Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Should I stop solids and go back to near EBF?

Question Help! Should I stop solids and go back to near EBF?

Hi,

My LO is 14 months old. He's been thriving until 12 months with almost EBF (and some tasting here and there). When he was 12 months old, my mom who's always been a huge help to me went back to my home country for a month. During that time, I didn't eat as well and didn't feed LO as often. When my mom came back she felt that LO has lost weight and that was confirmed during our wellness check a few days later. Our pediatrician was worried that he's not gaining enough weight (though height and head circumference were fine). Thus, at 13 months, we were suggested to give him at least 2-3 solid meals a day.

He was a happy solid eater for a little over a week and gained some weight initially. But then, he stopped eating what he liked (maybe due to teething) and also had severe constipation issues. I spent the whole day either cooking and testing what he would eat or trying to console him when he is in constipation pain. We did another weight check today (14 month 1 week) and he has lost all the weight that he has gained since starting on heavy solids (heavy in our case since he was primarily breastfed prior to that). His height and head circumference are also falling off the chart. That worries me because it's a sign of sever undernourishment.

Now, looking back, I wonder if things would be different if we didn't go the solid route but rather put the energy into my own nourishment and more breastfeeding? The pediatrician addressed the weight loss to lack of solids. But LO was perfectly fine before I stopped nourishing myself and delayed his feedings (Due to a busy schedule when my dear mother was not around). I read that there are many babies who did fine on primarily breathily up to 18 months and sometimes beyond. And wonder if it could have been our case as well.

LO is definitely not getting enough nutrition from solids and breastmilk, and is having a painful time with constipation. I think he may not have the ability to digest all that food and thus they are causing him constipated. Even though the nurse told us to give him more solids, I am thinking about cutting down on solids and upping breastfeeding to aid his tummy. This way I can also spend less energy cooking for him and more energy on my nutrition and breastmilk quality. But I am not sure.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts after reading my story? Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? Or any information about chasing milk supply and quality after one year? Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Help! Should I stop solids and go back to near EBF?

Welcome to the forum!

If this were my baby, I would try to increase his breastmilk intake but also not cut down on his intake of solid food. There are definitely babies who are primarily breastfed until later in their second year, but they are also being offered plenty of healthy solids.

What kinds of solid foods is your baby eating? If you can give us a sense of his diet, maybe we can spot some potential constipation triggers, or foods that you should encourage him to eat more of. It would also be helpful if you could post your baby's stats- if we could see for ourselves where he falls on the charts, we wI'll be an,e to give you better advice.

I agree with mommal, no need to stop offering solids-and it makes good sense to encourage your child to nurse more. Here are some things to think about.

Children this age are normally very picky about solids and many do not eat much. This is normal. You can offer, but that is no guarantee they will eat it, no matter what the doctor or your mom thinks about it.

Of course a constipated child will not want to eat much. So fixing that is probably going to help.

Eating enough to maintain good health is very important for your health, but there is nothing wrong with the quality of your breastmilk just because you have not eaten well lately. On the other hand, if you have become dehydrated that could hurt your milk production. You can increase your production by increasing your hydration (if it is low) and nursing more often. Yes if you have been neglecting your own nutritional needs, you must eat better, but again that is because that is important for your health.

A 14 month old can eat basically whatever adults eat. There is no need to make special meals for your child. I learned the hard way to not kill myself making special food for my babies and toddlers because it was so unbearably frustrating when they did not eat it. How many families that have multiple kids make some special foods for their little ones? They don't. Who has time? Offer what you make for yourself and if your child is not interested they are probably not all that hungry. If you want to have lots of healthy foods on hand to offer then keep on hand easily prepared things like raw fruits, berries, and veges, bread or crackers, cheese, spreads or dips like hummous or sunflower butter, - again, things you would be interested in eating as well. Keep it SIMPLE.

It is NORMAL for a 12 month old or so child to have less of an appetite. This is because it is normal for a child this age to have a slow down in gain rate. A child actually losing weight is concerning of course, however, since your child grew my guess is there was probably no huge concern here.

An excellent book on this subject is My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzalez. I recommend it highly.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; April 11th, 2017 at 07:31 PM.

Lightbulb Re: Help! Should I stop solids and go back to near EBF?

Thank you mommal for your reply!

I started my baby with BLW when he was 10-11 months old. We gradually introduced him carrots, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, cooked egg yolk etc. He had a difficult time with stools but from the frequency and textures of his stools, I didn't think he was constipated.

Then at 13 months, our pediatrician was concerned about him not gaining enough weight and suggested us giving him 2-3 meals a day. (which in hindsight I think his slow weight gain should be attributed to me not feeding him enough and myself not eating enough during the month my mother was away) So we immediately started giving him more food throughout the day.

At first, he loved cheese, cauliflowers, chickpeas, a type of millet crisp that I make, cooked beet, and some Chinese root vegetables. We are Chinese and in Chinese medicine, fruits are considered "yin" especially for children so we avoided fruits. At this point his stools were still okay. He still strains really hard each time but it's still coming out, and do not appear hard. (They have the texture of healthy adult stool)

Then, he suddenly stopped eating all these things that he used to munch on. He would put them into his mouth and chew for a while, then spit everything out. It took us a while to figure out that it was the textures that he couldn't handle, possibly due to molar teeth waiting to erupt. We finally found out that the only things that he would eat at this time are: 1) anything in the texture of sweet potatoes (potato, Chinese root vegetable), 2) almond butter, 3) teething cookies (he spits out what he could not swallow). So we fed just these things back and forth to him hoping he would not loose even more weight. These things definitely constipated him. Since, he started solid with BLW, he would not let us spoon feed him any oatmeal etc and he can't spoon feed himself yet so he never ate anything in puréed or soup form.

I definitely need to alter his diet and if you have any suggestions, I'd love to try. I just bought a DIY baby food pouch set hoping I can give him some variety of food in this form.

Below are his stats, and as you can see from the charts attached, he is falling off the growth curve starting at 13 months. I believe that he was heavier at 12 months than 13 months when he was mostly on breastmilk and I had a better diet and a more relaxed schedule.

14 month
    Height: 78%
    Weight: 46%

13month
    Height: 90%
    Weight: 58%

9 month
    Height: 99%
    Weight: 79%

6 month
    Height: 93%
    Weight: 79%

3month
    Height: 87%
    Weight: 70%

Birth
    Height: 46%
    Weight: 71%

Thank you!
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

Hi Maddieb,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes you are right, I've been making the whole thing much more complicated than it needs to be (Making three sometimes time consuming types of food choices per meal and waiting anxiously for baby to eat it) all due to the fear of baby not gaining enough weight. Need to have a different plan of action or I will stress myself to death

I really think you will benefit from the book My Child Won't Eat. For one thing, he does a great job demystifying growth charts. I will let mommal comment on that growth because my knowledge here is limited, but I do not see anything all that concerning.

Hi maddieb,

Thank you for recommending the book and the mention of growth charts. I think our scenario is slightly different from what Dr. Carlos Gonzalez suggests (I've only read an interview rather than the book). Although I was anxious to have my LO eat (due to Pediatrician's initial concern over his weight), I never tried to force or even encourage him to eat. We started with BLW, and all I would do is offer the food on his tray and watch. He loved almost whatever I offered him initially, chewing cheese and pancakes and swallowing well. The problem began to spit out what he has put into his mouth and eventually stopped choosing to eat many of the food choices that I offered him except a very selected few. I later came to realize that the selected few food that he would eat are of the same consistency in texture (potato, sweet potato, pumpkin, Chinese root vegetable, almond butter). These food are all soft and require much less chewing on his part. I am now pretty sure that it was teething that has caused his picky behavior rather than not needing food. Because 1) He appears hungry and wanting to eat on many occasions when I offered something he couldn't somehow chew and swallow, for example cooked beets. He would hurry to put it into his mouth, spitting out and asking for more right after. He seems frustrated rather than uninterested. 2) I noticed some chewing motion when he had potatoes the other day, and tried offering some chickpeas during the following meal. He started munching on them and ate fine! Chickpeas are something that he used to like but suddenly stopped eating along with cheese, vegetables, etc. Due to these reasons, I think my case is different from the generic case that Dr. Carlos Gonzalez is addressing.

The delima in my case, is when he stopped eating most textures of food except the selected few. Due to my fear of him further loosing weight. I offered those foods back and forth, which ended up constipation get him badly and disrupted his digestive system. On some sittings he could gobble down a cup of almond butter or 4-5 tiny potatoes, which I just learned are constipating. So, 1) he was hungry many times when I offered the kind of food he couldn't chew and swallow at the time. 2) he was eating a large amount of food that he couldn't digest well and constipation causing due to the fact he could swallow the texture of those food. 3) the severe constipation causes him extremely painful stool episodes and are extremely exhausting (sometimes he falls asleep/passes out during stool episodes and resume when he wakes up). So, I am concerned about his weight lose because it truly indicate that it's a result of something we are doing wrong with the way solid is given to him.

We are so scared about the painful stool episodes right now that we decided to pause solids for a few days just so he could have a softer stool and not always be pain. But he does seem hungry and unsatisfied with just breastmilk so I am still in the outlook for better strategy. I am planning to give him kefir and bone broth for some additional nutrition that Is not constipation causing. I'd appreciate any other food suggestion that could help in our case. I am being very careful about solids right now because I feel that his gut has been upset and needs time to heal. I wonder if breastmilk still has the ability to provide the bulk of his nutritional need in the second year if I try to up my supply during this time that his gut attempts to heal?

Thank you!

I want you to feed him fruit. Specifically P fruits. So peaches, pears, prunes and plums. All known for getting things moving in terms of constipation. Also you don't mention rice. Are you feeding any rice? Rice is also a known constipator. So if you are using rice cereal, rice cakes, or regular rice, anything like that, stop. Also feed him food rich in fat like avacado and cook things in high fat oil like coconut.

Way too lazy for formula

Hi, djs.mom,

Thank you for the suggestion. We didn't give any fruit to him because in Chinese tradition fruit is not good for babies. But desperate about his constipation, we gave him some cooked apples, which I later found is another constipating factor I read about the "p" fruits too and thank you for mentioning it, we will try it.

We've not given him any rice, but had given him some crisps made with millet and pancakes made with quinoa flour. I read just recently that kids might not be able to digest carbohydrates until full molar teeth come in, and he's been eating a lot of carbohydrates (potatoes and the like and pancakes and the like). I didn't think it was a problem because that's what he chose (refuse any type of eggs/meat and no beans), but looking back, it was definitely a wrong move.

If he is refusing eggs, meat and beans, beside the P fruits, try some veggies like cucumbers that are full of water. Cucumber & celery and raw bell pepper are all good, crunchy and have a lot of water in them. I would definitely avoid potatoes, pancakes and anything like that if you are having issues with constipation. What about dairy? I saw cheese, what about yogurt?

Way too lazy for formula