Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 Month Old screams and fights at breast! help!

Default 3 Month Old screams and fights at breast! help!

My baby has pretty much always been a fantastic nurser. Aside from a few small things, we haven't really had any lasting issues.

This whole past week, and sporadically for a week before that, she has fought at the breast... hard. She will scream until her face is bright red... like, immediately. She gives every sign that she is hungry, but will either fight the breast immediately or after a suck or two.

I've tried multiple positions. I thought it was forceful let-down, and so I tried to let-down into a towel every time and feed her after. I thought maybe it was something I ate, but then again she will fight her morning feedings... usually before I get to eat anything. I don't think it's thrush... mouth looks fine.

I've resorted to dream feeding, because I can't get her to eat any other way. I have no idea why this is happening. She took a bottle from my mom, but won't take one from me... That was an awful feeling.

Any advice?

Default Re: 3 Month Old screams and fights at breast! help!

Could baby be ill or teething? I have heard reflux can cause this kind of thing, but I am not sure that is true. I am not sure how something you ate would cause a baby to act like this. This is not how food sensitivities or allergies show themselves, typically.

This is a pretty classic time for changes in nursing behavior. Some times these changes are very alarming to moms but are entirely normal. But what you are describing sounds pretty extreme, so I would first suggest ruling out a physical issue.

It there is no physical issue and your baby has been gaining normally and doing well exclusively breastfed, I would suggest trying to avoid bottles to replace nursing. A bottle can be a good way to give an unhappy baby "instant reward" before encouraging them to nurse, but when used to replace feedings they tend to lead to more and more breast refusal. Of course your baby needs to eat, but in fact at this age baby may not need to eat as much or as often as they did before now. And in many cases they can get all they need in very short nursing sessions of just a few minutes.

This is a good article for ideas for encouraging baby to nurse: http://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/nb-...ack-to-breast/

3 months is prime time for nursing "quirks". Screaming and fighting the breast are quite common ones. Can you take a nursing vacation? Just spend a few days in bed with the baby, giving her total access to the bare breast, so that there's no pressure about taking it?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    3 months is prime time for nursing "quirks". Screaming and fighting the breast are quite common ones. Can you take a nursing vacation? Just spend a few days in bed with the baby, giving her total access to the bare breast, so that there's no pressure about taking it?
    Hello mom, I am not sure I can offer a lot of help, but I wanted to say my dd is also 3 months old and she's taken to hitting my breast and having the same behaviour you're describing, hitting the breast and pulling off and back on angry. I think my daughter, who's also been nursing quite well so far, is suddenly having an issue with slow let-down. I've had pretty full breasts overnight during her dream feeds and she's been used to a very easy and fast let-down. All of a sudden I have a drop in supply and no matter what I do my breasts never fill up to have that fast let down, so I'm pretty sure my dd's behaviour is frustration with not enough milk/slow let down. But she behaves exactly the same as yours. Which, to my mind, makes me think you're on the right track thinking it's a let down issue. What I've taken to doing is spend whole mornings in bed, cuddling, have her peaceful and at ease, when she's more likely to keep suckling and not get so frustrated as when she's hungry... I don't know if that's an option for you. And I get it this is just a stopgap because we can't spend the whole year in bed either....

My baby is having the same exact reaction. She is 2 months. She's been nursing great and from one day to the other it's like something clicked. For this past week as soon as I put her in nursing position, any position near my chest she cries and screams and won't stop until I hold her up right again. I really don't know what to do. & I don't want her to go without eating so I pump and feed her that way. I'm really worried that she's not feeding from the breast like she used to and I don't know what caused this change! Help.