Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New mom needing help

Default Re: New mom needing help

Thanks!

Now I have a question about getting the little one on a schedule, should I wake her up a certain times to nurse? Sometimes she will nurse for like 5 min then fall asleep, so I tickle her feet and she whines a bit while still attached and then goes back to sleep or unlatches. So I get her latched again and we do the same thing all over again. Try to burp her and she cries put her back on the breast and she might nurse for a bit or just go back to sleep. (We do this for like 20-30 min) So then I assume we are done so I'll change her diaper and then she's like wide awake. Sometimes still acting hungry sometimes just awake.

What you describe here basically all sounds entirely normal. Babies have their own sleep and food need rhythms that are entirely different than older children or adults, and also each individual baby will have some differences from other babies.

You can generally expect a baby this age to nurse about 10-12 times or more in 24 hours, but not on any specific pattern. Nursing several times in an hour then taking a longer stretch, nursing for 5 minutes and conking out, nursing for 30 minutes and wanting to nurse again 20 minutes later, etc are all entirely normal. Additionally, your body might tell you it is time to nurse. If you start feeling full, or just sort of feel like you want to nurse, it is fine to wake baby and offer to nurse.

So usually there is no reason to get baby or you on any kind of schedule- in fact since nursing in a specific such and such hours schedule is not normal biologically speaking, and can cause many breastfeeding issues, lower milk production and poor gain, LLL strongly recommends against any feeding schedule that limits how often or how long a baby nurses. Sometimes if baby is not gaining well or there is some other serious breastfeeding issue, schedules might be helpful in order to increase how often baby nurses.

Okay, by getting on a schedule I didn't mean eliminate or refuse any feeding, I just meant should I get up at a certain time in the morning (like when I'm going to have to go to work) and try to nurse to get her on a routine of nursing at that time everyday? Or does it not work like that at all?

Also, bath time should I offer a nursing before bath time or after? ..she gets her bath in the evening.

I think it makes good sense to plan to nurse baby before you go to work, for many reasons. Many moms and babies plan things this way, most probably. So that would mostly involve figuring out your getting ready for work routine to allow ample time for nursing. You can try encouraging baby now to nurse at about the time you expect you would nurse before work. It certainly cannot hurt anything and might result in making a routine for baby. However, babies love to change things up on us. Just when they seem to be settling on one routine they change it. So doing this is not going to guarantee baby will always be awake to nurse at that time, or won't have decided to nurse an hour before that time and conk back out. But again, no harm in waking baby to nurse if need be.

For bath time it really does not matter in general, so it is up to you and baby- basically that is what I meant about the scheduling, you hear a lot about scheduling but there is no need to plan when to nurse baby in most circumstances (although planning to nurse both shortly before and shortly after any longish separation such as for work makes a lot of sense.) So for bath, it can be either before or after as you and baby wish, or both, and it need not be the same every time. Baths do not even need to be every day.

Seeking help again...

LO, now 4 weeks old, nurses anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes and then either unlatches and goes to sleep or unlatches and screams.

When she goes to sleep I will change her diaper and then (if she nursed for 10-15m) i will offer the other breast sometimes she accepts but only for a short amount of time like maybe 2-3 min.

If she screams I will burp her and then she may fall asleep but if not I will offer the same breast again.

But the problem, is that she seems satisfied then 5-20 minutes later she is fussy like shes starved, so I'll offer a breast and she will only take it for a few minutes then she's fine.

Guess what I'm asking is, is this normal? She has only done it today and maybe a bit yesterday, but they weren't normal days, we weren't home much and she was passed around from person to person a bit... Normally she naps in her crib or bassinet.

How do you know when they are done nursing for sure?

When should you switch breasts?

Lots of times she is content until I change her diaper and it wakes her up. Any advice is appreciated!

Guess what I'm asking is, is this normal?
    Yes. Nursing behavior varies tremendously baby to baby and even day to day. What is abnormal: Nursing hurting you, baby gaining poorly, or a baby this age not wanting or being willing to nurse at least 8 times in 24 hours. If baby is gaining normally, nursing is comfortable for you, and baby is nursing 8-12 or more times in 24 hours, then all is probably "normal" (at least with breastfeeding) no matter what else is happening.

How do you know when they are done nursing for sure?
    If baby unlatches and will not take the breast again immediately, you can assume they are done for the moment. Of course baby may wish to nurse again in just a few minutes. If baby is fussy and will not nurse, you can offer other comforting techniques and then offer the breast again. This might happen over and over.

When should you switch breasts?
    Typically a baby will either want to nurse from both sides or from one side per nursing session. If baby nurses from both, typically you can start the next session on whichever breast baby nursed from the least in the previous session, or from the side baby did not nurse from in previous session if baby nursed one sided. If you are not sure, you can go by how you feel. Remember that all moms are slightly asymmetrical and one breast may "fill" faster than the other. Generally speaking you want to try to be sure both breasts receive basically equal amounts of "attention" from baby over all. In other words, you can switch breasts when 1) baby wishes or 2) you wish (based on how you feel.)

Lots of times she is content until I change her diaper and it wakes her up.
    There is usually no need to wake an otherwise content baby ONLY to change their diaper. Waking a baby amounts to encouraging them to nurse again. It is completely fine to wake a sleeping if it has been a while since baby has nursed and you are starting to feel a bit full. And it may be necessary to wake a sleeping baby who is not gaining well so they will nurse more often. But this is different than waking a baby only to change a diaper.

I don't wake her up to change her diaper, she just wakes while I change it. But she always needs a diaper after eating... its not so bad during he wee morning hours but mainly during the day.

Yes, I understood that. Some babies sleep through diaper changes sometimes of course, but in my experience they usually wake, and changing babies diaper is considered a method for waking a too sleepy baby. Maybe I did not understand the question. Are you looking for ideas to keep baby from waking up during a diaper change?

My point was there is not always need to change baby's diaper even if baby poops. Giant blowouts that you are concerned are going to get everywhere are one thing, but contained poop no need to worry about immediately changing. Breastmilk poops are mild and are not going to cause a rash in the relatively short period of time baby would be sleeping. If baby is not uncomfortable and continues to sleep after pooping, and you do not want to wake your baby and there is no other reason to wake baby, you can leave the diaper for later. If you want to change the diaper then baby is likely to wake. Same with pee diapers, as long as it is not leaking you can leave it.

Having a new problem the last few evenings. Don't notice it so much during the day, or wee morning feedings, mainly just evenings.

One month old will nurse for awhile and then start talking like shes in a bit of pain while still nursing, then she'll unlatch and scream and then fart or poop. And sometimes she will latch back on, but more often than not she'll scream and fight latching.

Then she may sleep for like 5 minutes and wake up wanting to nurse again. She poops without screaming normally most of the time.

Today it started at about 430. She nursed fine for like 15m and then unlatched and went to sleep for like 5m. And woke up fussy so I got her to latch again and she kinda fought it, we switched breasts and nursed on that side successfully for probably 10m and then she got fussy again so I burped her and she was fine for a bit. We ended up lying down nursing for abot 15-20m and she screamed off and on until about 630-7.. most of the time she won't take a pacifier

Husband took over and said she wold scream and then fart or poop and then be okay. Then do it all over again.

Please help! How can I make my baby feel better and not fight the breast? (really makes me want to bottle feed after being screamed at for hours, exclusively pumping is a huge commitment/ burden though)

This all sounds pretty normal. When healthy babies this age scream for hours and will not even comfort by nursing, that is probably colic. There is not much you can do about colic except try everything you can think of and see if anything helps. Colic is difficult but temporary.

These tip sheets both have ideas that may help: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ybabyideas.pdf and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...t_partners.pdf