Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New mom needing help

Default New mom needing help

My LO is 3 weeks old, I like most new moms wanted to have a stash so i started pumping everytime after she breastfed and now I think I have an over supply. She doesn't completely drain the breast at a feeding and sometimes they are overly full and cause me pain. If they are really full and leaking it seems like they choke her and she pukes most of it back up. I'm going to be returning to work in a few weeks and I'll have to pump while I'm there but i like breastfeeding and want to continue. Also when i give her a bottle she tries to suck it down so fast she coughs and chokes on it too. How can I fix this? When should I pump to slow down my "overproduction?"

Also she goes about 3 hours between feedings at night and 2 during the day. I do not wake her up to eat, but i feed her everytime she wakes up.
    Last edited by @llli*crr.2017; April 10th, 2017 at 09:43 AM.

Default Re: New mom needing help

Hi and welcome!

There are a few pretty easy fixes for what you are experiencing.

For OP- first , stop worrying about baby "emptying" the breast. This never really happens, for multiple reasons. And it does not need to happen. What does need to happen is baby nurse frequently and effectively enough to get enough to eat and you remain comfortable (not over full) Trying to "empty" the breast is a technique for increasing milk production. Like most moms, you do not have low milk production. So you do not have to worry about this.

-Adopt a laid back nursing position so baby is more on top of you when baby nurses. This helps baby handle the flow better. If you online search "laid back breastfeeding" or "Natural Breastfeeding" or "biological nurturing" you will find lots of suggestions for such positioning.

-Stop pumping for now UNLESS you need to pump occasionally to relieve the pressure of too much milk. Better to get baby to nurse or (if baby will not nurse) hand express at such times, but if you think you need the pump to do the job, remember to only pump enough for your own comfort. No need to "empty" the breast. That will increase milk production. Just pump until you feel comfortable.
    (We can talk about how to have a good enough emergency stash later if you tell us when exactly you will be back at work and what your work situation will be (hours away from baby, how many days a week etc.))

-Encourage baby to nurse frequently, but if baby prefers to nurse one side at a time that is fine. Every 2-3 hours may not be often enough for your own comfort. More frequent nursing will act to slow down the fast flow. It is fine to wake baby to nurse or encourage more overall nursing if you like. This will not increase production as baby will still take in what baby needs overall. Smaller, more frequent feedings will help with baby's comfort and yours.

Try not to worry about spit up, it is normal for a baby to spit up even a lot.

Bottles- I would suggest, Hold off on bottles for a couple more weeks. If you feel you must give practice bottles, make them SMALL. an ounce is more than enough for a practice bottle. And just a few times a week. And use paced bottle feeding for bottles. This will help prevent the overeating with the bottles issue you are seeing. More about paced feeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; April 10th, 2017 at 10:21 AM.

Thank you so much!

I will be returning to work at the beginning of May. I work 5 days a week and I will be away from the baby approximately 10 hours a day. What would be a good pumping schedule?

What would be a good pumping schedule?
    Do you mean now or at work? Do you have a plan to get adequate pump time at work? since baby will be so young and you will still be making a lot of milk, you might need to pump 4 or maybe even 5 times over a 10 hour separation at least at first. It would depend on how much baby nurses when with you and how you feel between pump sessions. if baby nurses lots overnight, that might allow you to not pump as often at work, but you also need to be careful of getting overly full while at work.

Yes I meant while at work.

I did pump twice this morning and I haven't felt overly full yet today. If my LO doesn't nurse for very long say 10-15 min on one side should I offer that same side for the next feeding also?

Also how long does it take for what I have ate too affect my milk, if I were to notice fussing or lack of dirty diapers could this be caused by something I ate?

If my LO doesn't nurse for very long say 10-15 min on one side should I offer that same side for the next feeding also?
    I think you will find there are few "shoulds" when it comes to breastfeeding. Basically as long as baby is gaining normaly, nursing is comfortable for you, and baby nurses with normal frequency (10-12 or more times in 24 hours) then all is almost certainly just fine.

So the answer is, it depends. You may find it helps to just go by how you feel and offer whichever side feels fullest first. Also length of session is normally going to vary. 10-15 minutes may have been plenty of time for baby to get all baby needed at that one session. Any length of nursing session from about 10 minutes to about 60 minutes is entirely normal at this age. Length of session and whether to switch or not is a good place to follow baby's lead. If baby is cluster nursing (nursing several times in a short period of time) so the previous session was recent, you can offer the same side again, or switch, according to how you feel.

What you probably do not need to do is make a point of nursing one side at a time over 2 or more sessions. That is called block nursing and is a technique used by moms with severe, problematic overproduction. Because doing this over time would reduce milk production. There is usually no need to do this because your milk production will naturally even out over time, assuming baby is just nursing. If you are also pumping, that will tell your body to make more milk than baby needs. This may or may not be ok, it depends entirely on how you and your baby respond.

Also how long does it take for what I have ate too affect my milk, if I were to notice fussing or lack of dirty diapers could this be caused by something I ate?
    It is unlikely anything you eat would cause your baby discomfort. This is a persistent myth about breastfeeding. Most of the time nursing moms can eat anything they like and it will have no effect on baby at all. Fussing is normal, all babies do it and most do it a lot. Nursing is usually very comforting so nursing lots often helps when baby is fussy. Even if baby was having a allergic reaction to something you ate, a lack of poops would not be caused by this.

Usually if mom has OP babies poop a lot-more than average. Are you seeing a lack of poops?

Definitely not seeing a lack of poop, just sometimes not much poo in a diaper. But then there will be a really full one.

Sounds 100% normal.

Let me know if you need any info on building a stash before returning to work.

You are so helpful! Thank you so much!

I would love info on building a stash before returning to work!

Ok I think it is helpful to figure out how much you want to have and work backwards from there. Many moms instead just try to pump as much as they possibly can, and that is going to be more problematic for OP than if you set a reasonable goal and try only to meet that. Also many moms way overestimate how much they need to have 'stashed."

So here is a sample of what you might consider in setting a goal. I am not suggesting pick this goal and do it this way, this is just an example of how you might do this.

First, remember that presumably you will pump enough milk on Monday for Tuesday and so on. So anything aside what you need for that first day back is a "cushion." It is extra. Moms feel more comfortable having a stash and it makes sense to have it, as stuff happens. But it need not be an enormous amount. Because assuming every thing works as it should, you will never need that stash. It is there basically for emergency use only.

Also, say you have a really bad week and use up all your stash. Your pump breaks or something. Your stash can be rebuilt by pumping on weekends or nights as needed to gradually rebuild it.

So first figure out an approximation of what baby will need each day. The simple rule of thumb is that, assuming baby is nursing with normal frequency at home (this would include nursing overnight) then baby will typically need between 1 and 1.5 ounces per hour of separation. So for 10 hours, that would be 10-15 ounces needed for bottles each day. It may well be baby takes less then this, but it would be unlikely to be more, unless baby is overfed and there are ways to avoid that if caregiver is careful. I will provide links about that.

But let's assume baby needs 15 ounces that first day back and from then on. (I am probably overestimating.) OK
    Then let's assume you want a cushion that would give you half a day of stored milk for the rest of the week, or for another 4 days. That would be a pretty good cushion, as it would be very unlikely you would need that much extra on even one day.
    1/2 of 15 is 7.5. 7.5 times four days, is 30 ounces. Add that to what you need for the first day, that is 45 ounces.
    I will add 15 ounces for practice bottles before you go back to work. Remember these can be small (less than an ounce) and no need to give them every day. So 15 ounces should be plenty, probably more than enough.

So now the total you want to pump before your first day back is 60 ounces. (I do not know what you have stored already, of any.) So lets assume you have none stored and need to build this whole stash before going back to work.
    Between tomorrow April 11 and May 1st is 20 days. So you could pump 3 ounces a day between now and then and meet that goal of 60 total ounces pumped. This much pumping is not likely to significantly increase your production.

Here is info on bottle feeding the breastfed baby. The younger baby is, the more important paced feeding is, so make sure your baby's caregivers understand how to do this. I will link a video as well.

Bottle feeding the breastfed baby and safe milk handling info sheet (two pages) http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...fyour_milk.pdf

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs&t=253s

Storing human milk quick chart: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...toringmilk.pdf
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; April 10th, 2017 at 09:13 PM.